The Greengrocer's Apostrophe

quiet_riot said:
johnmc said:
Doesn't bother me at all. Unless its an official document, a cv or a application form does it really matter?

It does, actually. This whole "it's the Internet, so it doesn't matter"-attitude is spreading to other forms of the written word. If we're not careful, it will become the norm.

Not a chance - thats like saying text spk will be the norm soon? Or slang will be the norm. Or whatever else. Its the internet. Its internet speak.

Didsbury Dave said:
I have no patience or tolerence for the Greengrocer's Apostrophe. In fact I would go so far as to say it should be a criminal offence. It is a blight on our green and pleasant land, in fact, and a sad indictment of our education system.
Six pages in yet, nobody noticed this.

The most annoying trait for me is the abbreviation of "until" . The apostrophe should be inserted before "til" to indicate the missing letters. So City until I die can be written as "City 'til I die" not "City till I die"
Sorry for those who have had it tattooed incorrectly, but get it f**kin sorted you halfwits. :-)

trotsky said:
The most annoying trait for me is the abbreviation of "until" . The apostrophe should be inserted before "til" to indicate the missing letters. So City until I die can be written as "City 'til I die" not "City till I die"
Sorry for those who have had it tattooed incorrectly, but get it f**kin sorted you halfwits. :-)

Actually, I think you can use the term "till" within the context of City till I die.

You can use 'til and till for the same purposes, they are interchangeable.

I stand to be corrected, but I had a lengthy correspondence about this very subject one time a few years ago!

crumpsallblue said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I hope you're being ironic, mate.

You'll say you were even if you weren't, of course.
Shop near me sells "sandwitches" and you can also buy "interational phone cards" Not hand written either actually printed on the front of the shop!

I would be most interested in purchasing 'irrational phonecards' for those double glazing and free holiday time share tea time callers.

Soulboy said:
trotsky said:

Actually, I think you can use the term "till" within the context of City till I die.

I stand to be corrected, but I had a lengthy correspondence about this very subject one time a few years ago!

No, "till" is a machine in which one puts money.
I once sent for a 'City 'til I Die' wristband, and sent it back due to it actually saying "City Till I Die". The company never refunded my money, even though I was right!

quiet_riot said:
Soulboy said:

I once sent for a 'City 'til I Die' wristband, and sent it back due to it actually saying "City Till I Die". The company never refunded my money, even though I was right!

The question needs to be asked: why the fuck do you want a City wristband?

I'm finding it hard to stay awake reading 6 pages of this thread, i think i'm slipping into a boredom induced comma.

nashark said:
quiet_riot said:

The question needs to be asked: why the fuck do you want a City wristband?

It was a precursor to my tattoo. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.