The home brew thread

Hi all, do I have to sterilise my pressure barrel, only the instructions refer to the fermenter bucket and the spoon, I have been in to check and all seems ok in the bucket, the lid has a swirly pattern of stuff on it and some bubbles, so I am guessing fermentation has started , its very hot in that room at the moment is this ok?? the instructions on the wherry say to leave for 4 to 6 days so this is only day one.. but thanks for the help Taxi and co.. it is very much appreciated.

bumbleblue said:
Hi all, do I have to sterilise my pressure barrel, only the instructions refer to the fermenter bucket and the spoon, I have been in to check and all seems ok in the bucket, the lid has a swirly pattern of stuff on it and some bubbles, so I am guessing fermentation has started , its very hot in that room at the moment is this ok?? the instructions on the wherry say to leave for 4 to 6 days so this is only day one.. but thanks for the help Taxi and co.. it is very much appreciated.

Anything that could, might, will, possibly touch your beer then steralise it mate. The "crap" you see going around your fermenter is the krauson ring, and this is a clear indication that fermentation has begun; happy days.

Evening Bumble.

Regarding your very hot room
Ideal fermenting temperatures for the Wherry are around the 18-22c mark
If your room is oppressively hot then maybe move it to a cooler room.
Or leave a window and door ajar

A Lot of people now having a go at the wherry
So a very informative video below outlining the fermenting bottling and conditioning stages.

Possibly question the comments of 48 hours for the priming or carbonation of the batch though.
Most online forums advocate two weeks in the fermenting bin two weeks priming in bottles or barrel at room temperature and then a minimum of two weeks in a cooler place to condition.
The general consensus is the longer the Wherry is left to condition the more is will improve.
Depends on your patience thresholds and how thirsty you get.

Making the Wherry

Taste testing the Wherry

Last edited:
Taximania said:
Evening Bumble.

Regarding your very hot room
Ideal fermenting temperatures for the Wherry are around the 18-22c mark
If your room is oppressively hot then maybe move it to a cooler room.
Or leave a window and door ajar

A Lot of people now having a go at the wherry
So a very informative video below outlining the fermenting bottling and conditioning stages.

Possibly question the comments of 48 hours for the priming or carbonation of the batch though.
Most online forums advocate two weeks in the fermenting bin two weeks priming in bottles or barrel at room temperature and then a minimum of two weeks in a cooler place to condition.
The general consensus is the longer the Wherry is left to condition the more is will improve.
Depends on your patience thresholds and how thirsty you get.

Making the Wherry

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHB-B-Omi8[/video]

Taste testing the Wherry

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXHa1dxhba4[/video]
Is that the same guy?

Is that the same guy?

See what you mean.
Probably not unless the Woodies wherry is more calorific than we thought .

Taximania said:
mscenterh750 said:
I've just bought a micro brewery set that includes St Peters Ruby Red, so I'll be attempting it very soon. The St Peters Cream Stout is a mighty fine ale.

Have a look for your home brew stuff on brewuk.co.uk, it's brilliant.

Welcome 750
A good supplier brewuk and equally good online prices.
You wont go wrong with the St Peters and I see it included the king keg too !

Tesco must be getting irritated with Wilko as they have now started to reduce a great deal of their home brew equipment and kits.
Coopers kits coming out at the £10 mark
And the Coopers complete lager starter kit that Tiny bought is now down to £52 and you get also your club card points.
What is there not to like eh?
Tiny will give you his opinion on it.

rau2z8.png

That's a reduction of £17 but Cellarites it gets even better !
Buy the kit entering the Tesco website through Quidco and you will save an extra 5%
bringing it down to a mouthwateringly amazing fandabeedozy price of £49.40

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.tesco.com/direct/diy-beer-starter-kit/213-7435.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=213-7435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tesco.com/direct/diy-beer-st ... d=213-7435</a>

Update;

After four weeks of brewing and priming I have Just put my batch of 10 2ltr bottles of Coopers brewmaster Pilsner into the fridge at 2c.
These will stay here lagering now for six more weeks.
Different yeast on this one hence the longer time frames and messing about
Let you all know how they pan out

Beaverdale wine tonight will be moved into secondary for another two weeks.

Just the Wilko pilsner in the FV now and will tonight dry hop it with 33 gram of Sazz and bottle up next week.

Adios ;

I've bottled my pilsner now; after the hops you sent me.

The coopers DIY kit is superb. Everything included and all of good standard. The fermenter is top notch and you don't have to bother with any air locks or the like; I bought mine from tesco for £52, and I am more than pleased with it.

Many thanks for accepting me taxi. I'm glad I found this thread, as I love real ale and want to start my home brew. I want to start with kits then move onto extract brewing, and finally all grain brewing (have a gander at the speigel braumeister). My good lady wife is starting wine and cider and in the future I'll be trying whiskey and rum brewing using a distiller (a grey area I've not read too much into regarding distillers, and where they can be used).

I'll keep you informed with how things are going, and tell you of any beers I come across whilst out supping. I can highly recommend purple moose ale, black sheep ale, beartown ale and ayr brewing company ale.

Think the Woodfordes Admirals Reserve is gonna get a bash, thanks Taxi.

Right, am I better off buying a starter kit, or separates? I have a list of gear needed, just a general question as to your (all) preferences).

This BrewUk place is only 3 or 4 miles up the road from where I am working in Salisbury right now, so if any of you lot wanna save postage, order it online to get picked up and I can fetch it for you and bring it up at the Liverpool game.

de niro, Danamy and a few others can vouch for me if you want.

Bilboblue said:
Think the Woodfordes Admirals Reserve is gonna get a bash, thanks Taxi.

Right, am I better off buying a starter kit, or separates? I have a list of gear needed, just a general question as to your (all) preferences).

This BrewUk place is only 3 or 4 miles up the road from where I am working in Salisbury right now, so if any of you lot wanna save postage, order it online to get picked up and I can fetch it for you and bring it up at the Liverpool game.

de niro, Danamy and a few others can vouch for me if you want.
Go for the woodfordes/St Peters 40 pint microbrewery premium starter kit, as you get everything you need to get brewing. I got the St Peters along with some bottle caps and bottle capper.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.