The home brew thread

Have ordered the microbrew kit today, picking it up tomorrow with either the Ruby or IPA kit, not decided yet.

Will get it sorted for before my holiday which will leave it for at least two weeks untouched whilst I am away on my jollies.

I have started my pear cider off tonight as well...now wherry hopefully fermented by weekend and ready for the barrel, got elderflower wine bubbling away needs topping up on Thurs...hope all this tastes good when done..fingers crossed.

I might get my ruby red going tonight. Had a cracking night last night, on a real ale session sampling joules, ruddles, lymestone brewery and a tasty stout, before finishing the night off with a mincemeat and peas balti fusioned with dopiaza. It's safe to say that shit hit the pan this morning.

Taximania said:
Bilboblue said:
Have ordered the microbrew kit today, picking it up tomorrow with either the Ruby or IPA kit, not decided yet.

Will get it sorted for before my holiday which will leave it for at least two weeks untouched whilst I am away on my jollies.

Happy days ;
Where you off to ?

Hope the brewing works out good for you.

Adios ;

Off to Thailand, not sure when just yet but I WILL make it back there probably next month.

Ok, picked up the stuff tonight and got the kit with the Wherry ale. The bloke in the mini-warehouse (that was absolutely chock-full of gear) was very helpful, I also picked up a St. Peter's IPA kit which was £17.50 with a cash discount.

Going to do this tomorrow night.

Stupid question maybe, but is it better to bottle this stuff straight from the fermenter, or into the pressure barrel? My fridge is not big enough to get the barrel in!

Bilboblue said:
Taximania said:
Bilboblue said:

Happy days ;
Where you off to ?

Adios ;

Off to Thailand, not sure when just yet but I WILL make it back there probably next month.

Ok, picked up the stuff tonight and got the kit with the Wherry ale. The bloke in the mini-warehouse (that was absolutely chock-full of gear) was very helpful, I also picked up a St. Peter's IPA kit which was £17.50 with a cash discount.

Stupid question maybe, but is it better to bottle this stuff straight from the fermenter, or into the pressure barrel? My fridge is not big enough to get the barrel in!
If you bottle it the beer will last a good 12 months, if barrelled then between 4-6 months. I would go the bottle route, as the beer will mature and taste better.

Cider now bubbling..ok. The wherry should be ok to go in the barrel on sat according to instructions...its in a fermenting bin looks dark with a head round the top with bits in some of this marbly stuff appears to be on the lid...and some drops of condensation on the clear bit of the lid..which is not snapped shut..does this sound right..it has been in since Sunday evening..the wine and cider both have airlocks so I can tell when they are bubbling but not the wherry...any help guidance gratefully received...do I need to use beer finings and do I add sugar before siphoning or add to barrel and leave??

The fermenter sounds perfect; you have a krausen ring which means we know it's fermenting. Leave it as per instructions but the only sure fire way of telling if it is done is to test the gravity of it with a hydrometer; if it's level for 2 days running then your beer is done. Don't worry if you haven't got a hydrometer, just leave it as per instructions or maybe a day later and bottle.

If you're putting in a barrel you will want to "batch prime", which is essentially getting a cup of water, bring to the boil, tip in circa 100g of dextrose (brewing sugar), bring to the boil again. Cool it down in an ice bath in your sink or leave to cool naturally, chuck this into your barrel and syphon the beer on top and cap; leave this for 10-14 days.

If you're going to bottle then the same principle (or buy coopers carbonation drops), but syphon the beer into a secondary fermenter and bottle from there. Store your bottles in a dark place for 10-14 days. Your beer will probably be ready to taste and will be carbonated after 7 days or so, but your beer will mature and will taste much better after two weeks. The longer you leave it the better it gets. I have an IPA I did circa 2 months ago and it is simply sublime now.

Hope that helps.

mscenterh750 said:
Bilboblue said:
Taximania said:
Happy days ;
Where you off to ?

Adios ;

If you bottle it the beer will last a good 12 months, if barrelled then between 4-6 months. I would go the bottle route, as the beer will mature and taste better.

Thank you 750, appreciate the reply.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.