The home brew thread

TINY said:
The fermenter sounds perfect; you have a krausen ring which means we know it's fermenting. Leave it as per instructions but the only sure fire way of telling if it is done is to test the gravity of it with a hydrometer; if it's level for 2 days running then your beer is done. Don't worry if you haven't got a hydrometer, just leave it as per instructions or maybe a day later and bottle.

If you're putting in a barrel you will want to "batch prime", which is essentially getting a cup of water, bring to the boil, tip in circa 100g of dextrose (brewing sugar), bring to the boil again. Cool it down in an ice bath in your sink or leave to cool naturally, chuck this into your barrel and syphon the beer on top and cap; leave this for 10-14 days.

If you're going to bottle then the same principle (or buy coopers carbonation drops), but syphon the beer into a secondary fermenter and bottle from there. Store your bottles in a dark place for 10-14 days. Your beer will probably be ready to taste and will be carbonated after 7 days or so, but your beer will mature and will taste much better after two weeks. The longer you leave it the better it gets. I have an IPA I did circa 2 months ago and it is simply sublime now.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Tiny...much appreciated

Bilboblue said:
mscenterh750 said:
Bilboblue said:
Off to Thailand, not sure when just yet but I WILL make it back there probably next month.

Ok, picked up the stuff tonight and got the kit with the Wherry ale. The bloke in the mini-warehouse (that was absolutely chock-full of gear) was very helpful, I also picked up a St. Peter's IPA kit which was £17.50 with a cash discount.

Going to do this tomorrow night.

Stupid question maybe, but is it better to bottle this stuff straight from the fermenter, or into the pressure barrel? My fridge is not big enough to get the barrel in!
If you bottle it the beer will last a good 12 months, if barrelled then between 4-6 months. I would go the bottle route, as the beer will mature and taste better.

Thank you 750, appreciate the reply.
No problem mate. Have a good holiday.

Hello me again with yet another question...when a demi John of wine..4.5 litres...has finished fermenting. am I best adding elderflower s ,
stabilizer and finingsc to it as instructions or....should I syphon it into a fresh sterilized demi John to make those additions? Thanks again for help, and am really excited as barelling the wherry tomorrow ..my first brew

bumbleblue said:
Hello me again with yet another question...when a demi John of wine..4.5 litres...has finished fermenting. am I best adding elderflower s ,
stabilizer and finings to it as instructions or....should I syphon it into a fresh sterilized demi John to make those additions? Thanks again for help, and am really excited as barreling the wherry tomorrow ..my first brew

Morning pal.

I would go ahead and follow the pack instructions
They make it to a certain consistency that they are happy with .
Why rock the boat on the first batch.
You can always experiment with any future runs to get it exactly to your palate.
Don't forget to prime the wherry when transferring to your barrel.
Room temperature for a week and then somewhere cooler to condition off.
Supping a pint of mine now washed down with a bag of Aldi steak ridge crisps.

Last edited:
Respect goes to the hardcore pissheads on this thread at nearly four in the morning. You must be like the drunk bakers in Viz.

Have to say I am very quickly demolishing my first batch. I don't have any other homebrew to compare it to but it tastes great to me. I briefly went out last night and had a pint of San Miguel, then came home and got onto the homebrew and I reckon mine tasted better. I had better slow down on drinking it though as the wherry is still in the fermenter and at least 2.5 weeks off drinkable.

Anyway, I have been reading through John Palmers online book <a class="postlink" href="http://www.howtobrew.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.howtobrew.com</a> and an finding it a really useful source of information. I'd definitely recommend it to any other newbies on here..... Though Taxi I reckon you'll be able to write your own online guide soon enough!

Wherry un barrel...and a chardonnay started...cider ready for bottling later in week...hapoy days..wherry tasted v good hoping for good things ..cheers

Making my first attempt tomorrow.

Wish me luck, doing a St. Peters IPA.

Now drinking a St. Peters Cream Stout and not being a stout lover, I think it's superb, I believe they do this kit too.

Put my first brew on Friday afternoon,waiting for delivery of hydrometre and symphony could,by get them Friday and in abersoch this weekend.used to have all the gear as a 16 year old back in 85. Just found out father in law has loads of brewing gear going to get brewing more soon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.