The home brew thread

Wherry barreled yesterday..cider to bottle Mon or Tues still bubbling...have elderflower wine should be bottled Thurs and just started..chardonnay. Pity I don't drink ;-s. Anyway am I best to syphon cider into a sterilized bin with sugar and bottle from there ?? Batch prime I think tiny called it ..is it same for cider, and finally can anyone recommend a good stout kit ..i have seen the wilko one and they have coopers one as well. Just want to get ready for winter haha Thank you everyone on this thread for all your tips and help.

I've started home brewing since xmas. Wifey gave me a brewing kit with a Cooper's ale (spot the username) First brew went quite well but was a bit "thin" I may have put too much water in ie: more than 40 pints, but it was quite drinkable. Had leakage problem with the barrel tap, so I had to transfer to bottles.

Second brew was a Milestone Green Man from Wilkos. Wow what a great taste from this kit, great smell of hops and a long finish. It was a bit cloudy and took a long time to clear. Patience is a virtue. After about 3 weeks in the barrel it was coming out nice and clear.

Wilkos cerveza style lager kit next. It cleared very well in bottles and had a good fizz to it, but i was a bit disappointed with the taste, not much of the hoppy bite you get with a cerveza. Nearly 5% though

I'm currently waiting for a Geordie Winter warmer to clear in the barrel. I've heard good reports of this kit.

Next up is a Woodfords Wherry kit from Wilkos. Their special offer is back on again so take advantage of the good deals.

There are some very informative videos on youtube if you are interested

good luck coopers.. there are some interesting vids , top show. I have done a wherry and will be moving it to cooler climbs tomorrow for conditioning for a week or three. I am interesting in doing a stout next .. but need to bottle cider first.. am waiting for the call from wilkos and hopefully that will be soon.. so I can pop after work , for the bottles you understand not literally explode.. not yet anyway..

Might be a stupid question, but I have looked and may be suffering temporary blindness, but does the mixture need stirring in the fermenting bucket?

Bilboblue said:
Might be a stupid question, but I have looked and may be suffering temporary blindness, but does the mixture need stirring in the fermenting bucket?

Are you using a kit? If so then yes. Stir it every time you add anything basically buddy

mscenterh750 said:
Anybody own a brew belt?, and if so how good are they?.

They're good mate, I have mine hooked up to a timer; comes on at set times depending on what im brewing and where I keep the fermenter.

mscenterh750 said:
Anybody own a brew belt?, and if so how good are they?.

A brew belt eh..

Are they like these but with longer straws? if so i'm in.

ae5ytv.jpg

TINY said:
Bilboblue said:

Are you using a kit? If so then yes. Stir it every time you add anything basically buddy

Yeah I did all of that when I mixed it to start with, it's been in since midday yesterday, do I stir it every day, or just leave it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.