The idiocy (and selfishness) of panic buying

15,000 HGV drivers have left the country due to Brexit. Of course it's the major issue
Not IR35 then, not retirement, not inability for drivers to get the HGV licence due to the backlog in the pandemic, not the fact its an awful job driving around the car park motorways of the UK , Not the shite infrastructure or terrible wages they get, not any of that, just pure and simple Brexit.
ok I am convinced

Worst take I have ever seen on bluemoon lol. Even worse than the Petrov at left back suggestion!

Cameron shit it from Farage and gambled our futures away to stay in power, then jumped ship when it all went to pot.
Cameron didn't shit it from Farage

Cameron had smashed Labour and wanted to do the same to UKIP. If he'd succeeded then the Tories were untouchable

Son now driving on flumes just joined a big que. His last chance before he runs out. That would mean car left on the side of the road and a walk home. No work tomorrow as he travels 20 miles each way and he doesnt know if he will get paid.
His gf is in the same boat and is a nurse and doesnt want to let her patients down. She can get a bus and put an extra couple of hours on her working day.

Thank you all you selfish bastards

The numbers are held by the ONS. Around 20,000 drivers have retired in the last two years in the UK. The average age for drivers is 55, 1% of drivers are under 25.

The European Road Freight Transport released a report in 2018 that said Germany had 45,000 vacancies for HGV drivers’ jobs and predicted that would rise by 28,000 a year.

This is the scale the problem of shortages now:
View attachment 27093

124,000 driver shortage in Poland.

Information on shortages across many countries, and it’s a problem going back 15 years:

Also there’s the issue of more than 230,000 HGV licence holders in Britain under the age of 45 who are not actually working in haulage. 25,000 new drivers pass their test every year in Britain. This makes the 15,000 lost due to Brexit seem minimal. As you can see here, we’ve lost 60,000 drivers from our own pool:

View attachment 27094

EU drivers make up around 10.5% of our driver pool. We need to be asking why so many HGV licence holders aren’t driving instead of blaming things that are only minimally to blame.

We need to be asking both - how to rectify the driver shortage and also whether some of the rules now in place post Brexit are worth it.

Not IR35 then, not retirement, not inability for drivers to get the HGV licence due to the backlog in the pandemic, not the fact its an awful job driving around the car park motorways of the UK , Not the shite infrastructure or terrible wages they get, not any of that, just pure and simple Brexit.
ok I am convinced

It‘s called a perfect storm. I mean what fucking moron jacks up trade barriers and cuts off a flow of labour during a fucking pandemic?

And all we get is blubbing that ‘it isn’t the fault of Brexit’.

Well boo fucking hoo, and buy yourself a clue.

Son now driving on flumes just joined a big que. His last chance before he runs out. That would mean car left on the side of the road and a walk home. No work tomorrow as he travels 20 miles each way and he doesnt know if he will get paid.
His gf is in the same boat and is a nurse and doesnt want to let her patients down. She can get a bus and put an extra couple of hours on her working day.

I reserved my tank for him. Went to London on a full tank and have got just over a quarter left. Queues at both Littleborough garages so I thought fuck you yer greedy bastards, and left my tankful at the pump. If he's passing it should still be there unless one of those queuing came with half a dozen jerry cans.

Some woman was trying to sell Jerry Cans for £50 a pop on Facebook.

Nothing to do with Brexit. Most of Europe has a shortage of drivers as does the USA and China has a shortfall of 4m drivers. Don't let the truth get in the way though.
Todiy in the UK we have X number of hgv drivers.
If we had X +15,000 would the current situation be improved?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.