The inflatables craze went bananas!

A mate of mine wasn’t really into football and he’s only ever attended one game in his life. We convinced him to come to West Brom away.
I often wondered if he thought all games consisted of the game plus additions like padding pool, Frankenstein, Godzilla ( and Newcastle Brown Ale that night if I remember “f off Geordies F off Geordies”)

Typical West Midlands police that night stopped the fun by deflating Frankenstein.

From what I recall the games only shot was one long ball from the keeper, Brian “Whale” dazzled by the lights. One nil game over

Halcyon Days!!
The West Brom away game is seen as the pinnacle of the banana / inflatable craze games.... The York away of 88/89 season.... And yes your memory of the goal and result is accurate.

I enjoyed every minute of it. Some fantastic experiences. Taking 12000 to Stoke in fancy dress, bananas Everywhere and getting beat ! Only City!

best time of my life as a city fan was between 84 and 89.

Don't get me wrong I love all this success but it's a bit sterile nowadays.

Yes mad days. As fan's we had to be inventive and do something to entertain ourselves as the football was mainly crap lol.

Someone needs to write a book entitled "Where were we when we were shit?" With all this stuff in.

Reactions: PPT
Blow up doll was mine haha
Paddling Pool was well up for a fight ...back in the day.
Correct A nasty fight broke out between the paddling pool and a fried egg at West Brom Seem to remember fans urging them to carry it on some weeks later. Maybe at home?
Funny thing is losing 1 0 with your centre back blinded by the floodlights seemed perfectly reasonable in those day. Just a shrug of shoulders and off you go.
Great times Shit football

i remember it at filbert st

I can state with certainty that Frankenstein's monster had a fight with Godzilla at WBA on the floodlights blinding Gayle game. I also recall it turned into a beach ball match between the two of them. I was in the main stand for no reason I can think of but it gave a great view of the madness on the terraces.

erwetj.jpg

I remember Stoke away, I hired a father Christmas outfit and kind of forgot I had it on. Of course on the bus to pick the coach up and coming home I was wondering why all these kids were screaming, "Mam mam it's Father Christmas!!!" I was looking around thinking, "Where?" Of course it was me lol!

I remember at half time a wolf and other characters invaded the pitch jumping about it was barmy, the police chasing them. One lad, I think he was the phantom flan flinger or something, he went to the corner where all their boys were foaming at the mouth and kept hitting the fence in an exaggerated slow motion way driving them nuts, happy days lol.
I was dressed as ( a rather large ) bo peep

Ditto.Janice Gibson was one of the nicest people ive ever met associated with City..right up there with Alex Williams,Debbie Darbyshire and Ian Cheeseman.

Re the Inflatables era,it was crazy,absolutely crazy! I can remember having to get a ticket in the wba main stand years ago,City had sold out(our away support in those days was top notch,esp in the midlands,we were loud,in our thousands and the name of the game was Fun) ..One of my most enduring memories was being transfixed, looking to my right at the away terrace behind the goal,packed full of City , with their inflatables..i cant remember the score..but i do remember the loud roars of encouragement/laughter as Frankenstein went into battle with a Paddling pool..it was ace!!
Quite what the albion main stand thought of it all i really dont know....those years following The Blues were absolutely brilliant.

The two aforementioned inflatables had several fierce ,epic, battles around that time up and down the country..,Crystal Palace on the big terrace behind the goal springs to mind..but my view of this fight,and many many others wasnt as good as being a spectator in the home end.

On the subject of inflatables...please..nobody mention the giant beach-ball,bouncing across the Kippax terrace at half time v Bournmouth ..3-0 up and promotion to the first div in the bag......Bishop and Blisset had other ideas...

Thank god for Tricky Trevor Morley 7 days later...

our away support vocal wise is very poor now!

our away support vocal wise is very poor now!
It didnt sound very loud from my seat in the home end yesterday...but i thought that might have been down to the being at the oppisire end of a large stadium....although home support was somwhat muted too...understandable in the circumstances i suppose...but yes.the away support on the open terraces of the 80s and early 90s with City was completely different.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.