The Italian Benitez...

mcfcliam said:
jay_mcfc said:
That's a fact is it? Talking out of your arse pal.

I'm guessing a few of you have had too many so I'll call it a night.

How am I talking out of my arse?

I'm telling it straight...if you're happy with winning one week and playing shit the next then that's your problem.

We played with fear tonight and it was pathetic, United were there for the taking.

It seems pathetic to you because you don't have to answer for the performances and results.

They all feared losing. Utd did as well. It's not just our manager saying 'don't run forwards or you might fucking lose!'.

The players lost three times in injury time, it wrecked their season last year. First time; they won one out of their next 8 games. Second time cost them a cup final. Third time gave Spurs the edge in the run in for fourth. Club was labelled a failure, the players labelled failures, manager labelled a failure. Enough to give anyone nightmares.

They did a bit better this time, hopefully NDJ, Barry, Kompany, Toure, Tevez, Zabaleta might sleep a bit better tonight.

Chick Counterfly said:
mcfcliam said:

I'm telling it straight...if you're happy with winning one week and playing shit the next then that's your problem.

We played with fear tonight and it was pathetic, United were there for the taking.

It seems pathetic to you because you don't have to answer for the performances and results.

They all feared losing. Utd did as well. It's not just our manager saying 'don't run forwards or you might fucking lose!'.

The players lost three times in injury time, it wrecked their season last year. First time; they won one out of their next 8 games. Second time cost them a cup final. Third time gave Spurs the edge in the run in for fourth. Club was labelled a failure, the players labelled failures, manager labelled a failure. Enough to give anyone nightmares.

They did a bit better this time, hopefully NDJ, Barry, Kompany, Toure, Tevez, Zabaleta might sleep a bit better tonight.

United went for the win...we sat back and let them knock the ball about in the 2nd half.

These players won't want to play that shite football.

We should be going for games with the players we have, not sitting back and playing for draws.

Chick Counterfly said:
mcfcliam said:

I love these inside snippets.

In the past it didnt matter a jot how we did against united, it was simply bragging rights with your mates for a few months. Now we are competing with them for the premier league it puts a different slant on things. We can no longer go gungho and hope to win 5-1 every few years. As much fun as it was I don't actually remember the 5-1 doing us much good that season, the point gained today may mean the difference between europa and CL next year.

mcfcliam said:
Chick Counterfly said:

United went for the win...we sat back and let them knock the ball about in the 2nd half.

We should be going for games with the players we have, not sitting back and playing for draws.

Behave Liam, united never went for the win. Two same teams.

ThreeTeamSupporter said:
SPIDERBOY said:
not being funny,mate,but can you explain why he does not start.

Sure, I'll give it a go
- He's started against Poznan and Blackpool (that's 2 of the last 5), and what did he do? Not a lot. (He only came alive against Poznan in the last 20)
- I think most posters on here will agree that he's most effective in the last 20, against a tired opposition (see Newcastle for further details). He gets shut out in the majority of games if he's not put on in this situation.
- He's not good enough at defending.
- He gives the ball away in dangerous positions.

I'm not saying he's not a good player (which he clearly is), but, at the moment, I think Mancini is right in making him an 'impact' substitute.

ok,i'll go along with some of your quotes,but how can he improve when just a sub.....
you say he's most effective in the last 20,why not use him for the first half and then use milner?

wayne71 said:
In the past it didnt matter a jot how we did against united, it was simply bragging rights with your mates for a few months. Now we are competing with them for the premier league it puts a different slant on things. We can no longer go gungho and hope to win 5-1 every few years. As much fun as it was I don't actually remember the 5-1 doing us much good that season, the point gained today may mean the difference between europa and CL next year.
That 5-1 got us out of a relegation zone with Mel. we drew with spuds a week later and went to Luton ( I think - at Kennilworth when they had a fearsome Kingsley Black and we won or drew). We went on to stay up that year and finisged fifth a year or two later. But it means fuck all these days - neither does Kingsley Black.

I too would start with Johnson-dont compare him with SWP,Johnson makes things happen,the chance to Zab when Zab thought the ball wasnt going to him,think he blazed it over the bar.Its ok saying we are 4th-I EXPECT us to finish at least 4th with the money spent.Tonights performance reminded me of the Peter Reid days when we finished 5th,dire and negative.I suppose if thats the football we have to play to finish 4th then so be it.

WNRH said:
mcfcliam said:

Behave Liam, united never went for the win. Two same teams.

They played better than us, with worse players. I'm not sure how that can be classed as a victory or even a point gained. I'm reading the excuses in this thread, and the only two valid ones seem to be "look at the bigger picture - we're still comfortably 4th", and Carlos didn't seem fit...beyond that, we performed no better than we did in the corresponding fixture last season. What cost us last season wasn't just losing to Spurs, but it was the insipid display's against United, Arsenal, Liverpool, et al where we showed absolutely not enough desire nor enough guile to beat them. Just as we showed tonight.

I accept completely that it's good enough for the vast majority. I'm not asking you to join me in my opinions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.