The Jocks are coming

bluepeter62 said:
Eddie said:
I'm a City fan. I follow no other team. I am of Irish heritage. I have no time, interest, bias or liking for either of the Glasgow teams.

Both are a throwback to darker times in history and neither can let the past go. We have our issues around the rags and the 'M' word, so maybe a tad hypocritical of me to say so.

The Glasgow teams are so mired in sectarianism and bigotry that, if I had my way, they'd be disbanded - along with the two Edinburgh clubs.

People may wish to celebrate their 'culture' (and I use the word advisedly of course, as any culture that celebrates being 'up to our necks in Feinian blood' or any acts of murder/violence/terrorism for that matter clearly is a culture worth celebrating), however, I feel that nonesense has no place in sport.

Listen mate you preconceptions of Celtic at least are way off the mark. The club has done plenty of work to stop sectarianism. Just because there may be a few idiots who sing IRA songs does not make the entire support bigots. Would you say that all City fans should be tarnished because there are a few who sing Munich songs?
I've read many articles as to how both Rangers & Celtic are attempting to combat this and all efforts should be applauded.

Unfortunately, it doesn't stop it. It is in the blood of both teams' supporters and is far too deep seated for it to be stopped.

And as with issues in Northern Ireland, both sets of supporters end up engaged in that wonderful sport of 'what-about-ery'.

example

To a Celtic fan:
Q "You sing songs glorifying the IRA don't you?"
A "Yes we do, but what about the songs Rangers sing about the Billy Boys or the Famine?"

Question to a Rangers fan:
Q "You sing songs glorifying the slaughter of Catholics don't you?"
A "Yes we do, but what about the songs Celtic sing about the IRA?"

Classic 'what-about-ery' from two friends of my family and one of the many reasons it will never be stamped out.

No one is willing to make the commitment of taking the first step.

bluepeter62 said:
Eddie said:
I'm a City fan. I follow no other team. I am of Irish heritage. I have no time, interest, bias or liking for either of the Glasgow teams.

Both are a throwback to darker times in history and neither can let the past go. We have our issues around the rags and the 'M' word, so maybe a tad hypocritical of me to say so.

The Glasgow teams are so mired in sectarianism and bigotry that, if I had my way, they'd be disbanded - along with the two Edinburgh clubs.

People may wish to celebrate their 'culture' (and I use the word advisedly of course, as any culture that celebrates being 'up to our necks in Feinian blood' or any acts of murder/violence/terrorism for that matter clearly is a culture worth celebrating), however, I feel that nonesense has no place in sport.

Listen mate you preconceptions of Celtic at least are way off the mark. The club has done plenty of work to stop sectarianism. Just because there may be a few idiots who sing IRA songs does not make the entire support bigots. Would you say that all City fans should be tarnished because there are a few who sing Munich songs?
I think that the sectarianism is quite a bit deeper then the odd Munich song thats sung by a small group of our fans.

colinbellsboots said:
cyberblue said:
The point i am trying to make is this if 10,000 celtic fans come down & have a great time & a couple of dozen sing IRA songs round a post Box what are you going to read about in the Papers ?
i served in ulster 3 times lost a few great mates, if i heard anyone singing that crap, i would personaly break there necks.. and yes i will be there..
i grew up there, your lot were hardly angels. so lets not bring this shite into football eh?

I lived in Scotland for a while and generally the sectarian thing, whilst being a problem, isn't as big a deal to many as the media would have you believe. I have Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and Hearts mates and generally it's all fine.

Does amaze me how many blues have their cock up the arse of Celtic though given the rag love in that that club is. Bit weird.

TheMightyQuinn said:
I lived in Scotland for a while and generally the sectarian thing, whilst being a problem, isn't as big a deal to many as the media would have you believe. I have Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and Hearts mates and generally it's all fine.

Does amaze me how many blues have their cock up the arse of Celtic though given the rag love in that that club is. Bit weird.
isn't as big a deal to many as the media would have you believe
Agreed,the media fuel the flames,bigtime.
The "rag love in " isn't anywhere near like it was,the rags treated them them very well when they were bringing 15 to 25 k up for friendly games,but as soon as they played them in a chumps game with Celtic having a far smaller following the rags reverted to type picking on small groups & singles.

bluemanc said:
TheMightyQuinn said:

isn't as big a deal to many as the media would have you believe
Agreed,the media fuel the flames,bigtime.
The "rag love in " isn't anywhere near like it was,the rags treated them them very well when they were bringing 15 to 25 k up for friendly games,but as soon as they played them in a chumps game with Celtic having a far smaller following the rags reverted to type picking on small groups & singles.

Yeah but even so most Celtic fans love the rags and vice versa. I've never met a Rangers fan who doesn't hate the rags despite what that wank poll said a while back.

cyberblue said:
The point i am trying to make is this if 10,000 celtic fans come down & have a great time & a couple of dozen sing IRA songs round a post Box what are you going to read about in the Papers ?

You will have a lot more than a couple of dozen signing IRA songs sadly.Their away support seems to be full of Buckie filled bigots.Do not believe that they are better than Rangers.Both are as bad as each other.

Rags and Celtic fans have always danced arm in arm together. Many City fans traditionally have a Rangers bias, some because they like Gers, others on the basis that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.