"The Keeper"

I can lend you the book Frank.!it is better to her Bert's strengths from the people who say how play (like you said) but the following attributes come across in the book:
- great athleticism
- ability to read the game and tactical awareness
- a prodigious and unique action for throwing out the ball.
- courage and very much being his own man

That would be most appreciated Tim.

The latter point I can well imagine as even at 80 years old his presence and personality dominated a room. Even outside football I cannot think of an equivalent I have met and could well imagine him having the strengths of character to follow his own path and probably lead others also.

I know @Corky was there that night I wonder if he thought similar or anyone else for that matter.

Another question for anybody who remembers that time or if it was mentioned in the book was it universally agreed, at the time, that Trautmann was a better keeper than Swift or was it more a generational thing dependent upon which player you grew up watching???

I can lend you the book Frank.!it is better to her Bert's strengths from the people who say how play (like you said) but the following attributes come across in the book:
- great athleticism
- ability to read the game and tactical awareness
- a prodigious and unique action for throwing out the ball.
- courage and very much being his own man
He commanded PENALTY area not just the six-yard box.
Always had time to stop for autograph hunters on Sunday mornings

He commanded PENALTY area not just the six-yard box.
Always had time to stop for autograph hunters on Sunday mornings

Great points Bluekiwi

Just to add to my points about distribution. This was integral to the Revie Plan that more Blues might have heard of.

This thread also brings back memories of last season in the Christmas Market at BMG, when are number of Bluemoonets were singing, "There's only one Bert Trautman" to a lookalike from German TV.

Great points Bluekiwi

Just to add to my points about distribution. This was integral to the Revie Plan that more Blues might have heard of.

This thread also brings back memories of last season in the Christmas Market at BMG, when are number of Bluemoonets were singing, "There's only one Bert Trautman" to a lookalike from German TV.

So the Claudio Bravo of his day then?

I know the Revie plan was influenced by the Mighty Magyars so did the keeper need to be a bit more advanced in this system then in comparison to keepers of the day?

So the Claudio Bravo of his day then?

I know the Revie plan was influenced by the Mighty Magyars so did the keeper need to be a bit more advanced in this system then in comparison to keepers of the day?

Bert could make greatvsaves and distribute the ball lol. Yes it are right about the Magyars. Bert could launch the ball as far as the halfway line with a shot putting type motion that also put back spin on the ball. This back spin gave Bert greater accuracy to deliver the ball say between the oppositions midfield and defence to the likes of Ken Barnes. He also rolled the ball out of course to start attacks from the back.

Bert could make greatvsaves and distribute the ball lol. Yes it are right about the Magyars. Bert could launch the ball as far as the halfway line with a shot putting type motion that also put back spin on the ball. This back spin gave Bert greater accuracy to deliver the ball say between the oppositions midfield and defence to the likes of Ken Barnes. He also rolled the ball out of course to start attacks from the back.

Just watched the cup semi v Spurs 1955 on British Pathe. Bert drops the ball and then wraps his arms around the strikers foot. Not even the mention of a possible penalty by the commentator :-).

Just watched the cup semi v Spurs 1955 on British Pathe. Bert drops the ball and then wraps his arms around the strikers foot. Not even the mention of a possible penalty by the commentator :-).

This is covered in the book Frank. Bert couldn't believe he got away with it. Nor could the Spurs crowd who gave Bert dogs abuse.

This is covered in the book Frank. Bert couldn't believe he got away with it. Nor could the Spurs crowd who gave Bert dogs abuse.

I always knew there was never an Agenda :-). Great watching how the keepers chucked the ball in those days and crazy no subs allowed as the 55 result was probably decided by it.

I always knew there was never an Agenda :-). Great watching how the keepers chucked the ball in those days and crazy no subs allowed as the 55 result was probably decided by it.

Spot on Bert, apart from the bias referees that has only been a big problem in the last two seasons lol.

Looking forward to seeing this. Had the pleasure of meeting Bert at a book signing along with my daughter. Really pleased that a Blue, John Henshaw, is also involved in the film.

Remember seeing a documentary about his life when Bert told the story how his workmates had a collection for the German people of his home town. It was Bert's first visit home and Germany was on it's arse. Apart from money, Bert was given a trunk with practical things, food, soap, etc. Considering what the English people had been through during the war it really shows the type of people they were and how much they respected Bert.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.