"The Keeper"

Another question for anybody who remembers that time or if it was mentioned in the book was it universally agreed, at the time, that Trautmann was a better keeper than Swift or was it more a generational thing dependent upon which player you grew up watching???

Some years ago, @Gary James started to research a book about Swift, which was never published. IIRC, Gary said that one of the things he wanted to cover was the debate over which of Swift or Trautmann was better. If Gary happens to be around and has time, maybe he can confirm or refute this, but my memory is that he said the majority view of those who saw both at their peak was that Swift edged it. FWIW, my grandad, who died in 1989 and had watched City since the Hyde Road days, was also of that view. Both men were widely recognised to be English football's best 'keeper by a mile for most of their respective careers, though.

The incredible thing for me about Trautmann as a footballer is that he never played in serious, organised football match until he was a PoW in England aged 24. It's never really mentioned, but to start that late and become a genuinely world class player (remember that Bert's contemporary, the legendary Yashin, hailed himself and Trautmann as the world's two great goalkeepers) is truly phenomenal.

Some years ago, @Gary James started to research a book about Swift, which was never published. IIRC, Gary said that one of the things he wanted to cover was the debate over which of Swift or Trautmann was better. If Gary happens to be around and has time, maybe he can confirm or refute this, but my memory is that he said the majority view of those who saw both at their peak was that Swift edged it. FWIW, my grandad, who died in 1989 and had watched City since the Hyde Road days, was also of that view. Both men were widely recognised to be English football's best 'keeper by a mile for most of their respective careers, though.

The incredible thing for me about Trautmann as a footballer is that he never played in serious, organised football match until he was a PoW in England aged 24. It's never really mentioned, but to start that late and become a genuinely world class player (remember that Bert's contemporary, the legendary Yashin, hailed himself and Trautmann as the world's two great goalkeepers) is truly phenomenal.

Cheers for the information. I never realised that Trautmann started to play organised football at such a late date and as you have highlighted it makes his achievements all the more remarkable.

Interesting to hear that fans who watched both thought that Swift edged it. It must have been a real pleasure for your grandad to have watched them both.

Note - Bert signed for us at 26 only two years after playing organised football.

Last edited:
I remember years ago seeing an interview with the actor and big City fan Warren Clarke(who's sadly no longer alive) In it he let slip that he was trying to get some kind of funding for a film based on Bert ( or possibly it was on the horizon) but that never materialised unfortunately. Now another big blue in the form of John Henshaw ( him out of Early doors) is due to star in the film. Sometimes it's funny how things work out. I personally can not wait for this. My absolute City hero. CTID
Give it to Bert, give it to bloody Bert....

That would be most appreciated Tim.

The latter point I can well imagine as even at 80 years old his presence and personality dominated a room. Even outside football I cannot think of an equivalent I have met and could well imagine him having the strengths of character to follow his own path and probably lead others also.

I know @Corky was there that night I wonder if he thought similar or anyone else for that matter.

Another question for anybody who remembers that time or if it was mentioned in the book was it universally agreed, at the time, that Trautmann was a better keeper than Swift or was it more a generational thing dependent upon which player you grew up watching???

I think the crowd were in awe of the closest they will have been to a living legend at the time. Most of them looked like they would have grown up watching Joe Corrigan and on tales of Bert passed down.

By the way Swift's book ends in 1947 so no mention of Bert and the relationship he talked about.

I think the crowd were in awe of the closest they will have been to a living legend at the time. Most of them looked like they would have grown up watching Joe Corrigan and on tales of Bert passed down.

By the way Swift's book ends in 1947 so no mention of Bert and the relationship he talked about.

Cheers Corky. Yes I think we were all in awe of him and in fairness he did nothing to dispel that as he had such presence, character and humour particularly for somebody of his age.

Incredible also how he spoke english so effortlessly having lived in Spain for such a long period.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.