"The Keeper"

Ha hah ha , believe it or not there a good number of Blues here, mostly season card holders of many years standing, maybe some must have missed the bus back!! For many years the York fans dined out on that day, however it was our darkest hour but within a week or two we were on our way back.

All the way to pick up my City mad 12 year old grandson...5 miles.
Off to the cinema...3 miles.
Cnuts wouldn't let him in.
Why on earth is a film about football a 15 ?
And there was not a chance we was watching Dumbo.

All the way to pick up my City mad 12 year old grandson...5 miles.
Off to the cinema...3 miles.
Cnuts wouldn't let him in.
Why on earth is a film about football a 15 ?
And there was not a chance we was watching Dumbo.
Well that actually has a football connection as well as Ed Woodward is named after him now ;-)

I was in a very strange position of watching a film where I knew four of the central characters. This might make me rather hyper-critical when judging. We saw it last Friday at the Cameo in Edinburgh.

The film was excellent although they did take a few minor liberties with the chronology, presumably for dramatic effect. It certainly brought back memories of the era even though I had not watched City at that stage other than the two cup final appearances in 1955 and 1956. The shots of Maine Road were very realistic. I don't know how they managed to recreate the visuals.

Jack Friar was a drinking and golfing pal of my dad's and I knew him and his wife Clarice well over a period of time up to his death albeit from few years after the period of the film. John Henshaw gave an excellent performance but it wasn't quite the Jack I knew. The physical resemblance was good but the accent wasn't quite right (too Lancashire when it should have been more Cheshire).

I first met Bert when I was at Queens Road Primary School in Cheadle Hulme. My mother worked in a greengrocers' shop on Cheadle Road and Bert was a regular customer around the time of his cup final appearances. She got me an autograph. I met him at the shop he was still wearing the neck brace after his accident. Later I saw him play for City for the last couple of seasons of his career. Subsequently I encountered him and Margaret several times as guests of Jack and Clarice at Social Events at Davenport Golf Club. David Kross was superb as Trautmann and was exactly how I remembered him in appearance and accent.

Top notch film and very much recommended.

Went to see this film today with my wife and a couple of friends.
As a City fan I loved it (spoiler alert: Blue Moon gets an outing) and the non football fans amongst us thought it was a brilliant film.

I’d definitely recommend it if you get a chance. It’s a film that’s funny, sad, tragic and hopeful all at once - well worth a couple of hours of your time

Went to see this film today with my wife and a couple of friends.
As a City fan I loved it (spoiler alert: Blue Moon gets an outing) and the non football fans amongst us thought it was a brilliant film.

I’d definitely recommend it if you get a chance. It’s a film that’s funny, sad, tragic and hopeful all at once - well worth a couple of hours of your time
I saw it as well today. Much of it probably involved a lot of poetic licence but we loved it. Had to laugh at a couple of bits though for various reasons. They showed the rabbi watching the 1956 final on TV but it would have been on a Saturday & there’s just no way any rabbi would watch TV on a Saturday.

And when Bert first joined City, they showed the team coach going through a hostile crowd with them banging on the side. And where were we playing? Anfield of course. I did wonder if that was done as an in-joke, particularly as we’d played there after Bert signed but before he’d started a game for us. So I doubt he’d have been on the coach that day.

Last edited:
I saw it as well today. Much of it probably involved a lot of poetic licence but we loved it. Had to laugh at a couple of bits though for various reasons. They showed the rabbi watching the 1956 final on TV but it would have been on a Saturday & there’s just no way any rabbi would watch TV on a Saturday.
I wouldn't be totally sure about that unless he was from a very Orthodox branch. My father-in-law used to tell anecdotes about the Orthodox who would not even switch a light or oven on during Saturday. They would listen to the radio on Saturday but would switch it on on Friday night! Much the same with cooking. The food for Saturday would be prepared on Friday and slow cooked overnight. Alexander Altmann was working for the Institute of Jewish Studies, presumably in London, by the time of the 1956 Final. He founded ithe Institute in 1953 and facilitated it to join University College London on his departure to Brandeis University in Massachusetts in 1959.

And when Bert first joined City, they showed the team coach going through a hostile crowd with them banging on the side. And where were we playing? Anfield of course. I did wonder if that was done as an in-joke, particularly as we’d played there after Bert signed but before he’d started a game for us. So I doubt he’d have been on the coach that day.
I noticed one or two inconsistencies. His first match was shown as being against Arsenal (a 2-0 home defeat). The records show his debut as being in a 3-0 home defeat to Bolton. Also it suggested that his marriage was before signing for City when it appeared to be in 1950 after his signature in 1949.

I wouldn't be totally sure about that unless he was from a very Orthodox branch. My father-in-law used to tell anecdotes about the Orthodox who would not even switch a light or oven on during Saturday. They would listen to the radio on Saturday but would switch it on on Friday night! Much the same with cooking. The food for Saturday would be prepared on Friday and slow cooked overnight. Alexander Altmann was working for the Institute of Jewish Studies, presumably in London, by the time of the 1956 Final. He founded ithe Institute in 1953 and facilitated it to join University College London on his departure to Brandeis University in Massachusetts in 1959.

I noticed one or two inconsistencies. His first match was shown as being against Arsenal (a 2-0 home defeat). The records show his debut as being in a 3-0 home defeat to Bolton. Also it suggested that his marriage was before signing for City when it appeared to be in 1950 after his signature in 1949.
There were quite a lot of inaccuracies but they didn't really detract from the film. I went to a talk Gary James gave at Castleton OSC and he talked about his battles with the crew over accuracy. He lost most of those but he did win the one about the FA Cup Final being at Wembley and not Maine Road.

That Sgt Smythe was a completely fictional character and in reality Bert got on very well with the CO commanding the camp, Lt Col Glendenning, who was quite tolerant with the POW's. There's a story that despite them being under curfew, they used to sneak out to pubs and dances and Glendenning told them off, not for doing that but for being too noisy when they were sneaking in past his quarters. Another one has Glendenning coming back from a night out in a shared taxi, the passengers including one of the POW's. Glendenning recognised him, chucked him out of the front seat into the back and paid his fare.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.