"The Keeper"

Just watched it this afternoon, excellent and highly recomended, even had this old blue tearing up at one point.

Only thing I could criticise was it seemed to have forgotten Les McDowell or did I just miss him in it.

Also in the credits someone could have told the makers Roy Pauls name ;-)

Last edited:
Just watched it this afternoon, excellent and highly recomended, even had this old blue tearing up at one point.

Only thing I could criticise was it seemed to have forgotten Les McDowell or did I just miss him in it.

You did not miss him, he was not mentioned and I wondered why. He seems to have been replaced by the Scots guy in the hat.
Also in the commentary on the final City were referred to as Man City, I do not recall them being called this until much later. Could be wrong though.
As you say it is an excellent film and deserves a wider audience and not just selected cinemas.
I am sure it would appeal to everyone not just City fans or those interested in football.
You did well to only tear up at "one" point.

Just watched it this afternoon, excellent and highly recommended, even had this old blue tearing up at one point.

Les McDowell wasn't credited despite managing for every season of Bert's time at City bar his first and last. Obviously there was attention in the film on Jock Thomson as he signed Trautmann but given the focus on the cup final, Les McDowall might have warranted a mention.

Les McDowell wasn't credited despite managing for every season of Bert's time at City bar his first and last. Obviously there was attention in the film on Jock Thomson as he signed Trautmann but given the focus on the cup final, Les McDowall might have warranted a mention.

Was my only minus for the film, I was thinking why is thomson still manager in 55 and 56, that's not right, but I doubt it is a big issue for most film goers.

The shots of Maine Road were very realistic. I don't know how they managed to recreate the visuals.
I provided lots of images and film of the stadium in the 1940s and pre-Kippax roof, including the Platt Lane corner externals. They then used CGI technology. I did the same with Wembley. They got some bits of Maine Rd wrong but it's pretty close overall considering they never ever ventured into the place or near the old site.

I thought that as well, he was captured and escaped several times plus he operated on both the eastern and western fronts. His life story is truly remarkable, I understand the focus was the love story and the great man himself probably didn’t reveal too much about his war years but I would have loved to have seen (even as flashbacks) more of that.
There's lots that could've been more dramatic of course - including the reasons why MCFC took the gamble (that for me was a crucial piece but it was too 'football' I guess) - but they had to keep it flowing and to time.

Was my only minus for the film, I was thinking why is thomson still manager in 55 and 56, that's not right, but I doubt it is a big issue for most film goers.
For any film the narrative for a general audience is the most important thing. Even a biopic is a story first and history lesson second, it has to fit into 120 minutes or so , so suddenly changing 'supporting' characters is confusing and explaining it time consuming for a general audience. So it's easier to just keep the manager the same, especially as they are both Scots. They all sound the same anyway :)

Just a question for maybe @Gary James - Alec Thurlow was the keeper when City found Trautmann, but he died extremely young. What happened to him?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.