The Key The Secret - beating Chelsea...

johnmc said:
Failsworth_Blue said:
Whether you think he's overrated or not surely you can't deny that his performance against Chelsea at home last season was absolutely outstanding?

Ok. But against teams where we should have won but drew he shouldnt have been on the pitch but to many as he did a non descript defensive midfielder role he is not seen to be at fault.

If you are a defensive midfielder and your not stopping attacks or shielding the defence as the opposition have 10 men behind the ball then you have to get involved in attack. He is incapable of doing so but can do no wrong in most peoples eyes

You know what, I like him but the love in for him at the minute gets to me. Barry has played as well if not better than him this season but doesnt get a tenth of the credit of NDJ. In fact Barry having a goodf game often mean NDJ allowed him to!!!

-- Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:05 pm --

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Your bias against him is laid bare.

The video compilation is exactly eight minutes long, yet you felt confident in your own knowledge to be dimissive of his talent, certainly on that day, and not even bother to watch it.

For the record, only four minutes had elapsed prior to you sticking the boot in to one of the very best players at the club, and me posting.

Keep you negative agenda to yourself.

Im at work so cannot see the video - you giving him full credit for the win against chelsea is a case of your bias laid bare towards him He was one of 11 - all played there part and i dont think NDJ deserved any special praise ovber anyone else that day

Someone took the trouble to compile that video, so it wasn't just me that day who recognised an incredible midfield performance.

Whether the rights or wrongs of it, someone is considered man of the match.

It just so happens, De Jong was rightly recognised as the stand-out in a great team performance.

You also cannot hold him responsible for being on the pitch in certain games, as you have done, when an extra midfield holder was not required.

That is the remit of the manager. This game is all about opinions as they say...

But your admiration for Barry in comparison to De Jong, beggars belief.

Only a myopic, or Barry family member, would argue Barry has had no more than a handful of decent games since his arrival.

It is a sweeping generalised statement on my part, admittedly, but Barry has been a big disappointment in terms of what we thought we were getting.

Saved penalty and Drobga missing a sitter, a lucky rebound that fell at ades feet and a Tevez free kick ! also won us the game.

They key to beating Chelsea is to harrass them , and hunt them down in packs , ALL OVER the field ... and for ninety minutes ......... there is no other way , our workrate must better theirs.

black mamba said:
They key to beating Chelsea is to harrass them , and hunt them down in packs , ALL OVER the field ... and for ninety minutes ......... there is no other way , our workrate must better theirs.

Agreed...we did that twice last season and they lost all their discipline in both games.

If we do the same on saturday, it's almost certain Chelsea will get a player sent off as they cannot stand teams getting into them.

mcfcliam said:
black mamba said:

Agreed...we did that twice last season and they lost all their discipline in both games.

If we do the same on saturday, it's almost certain Chelsea will get a player sent off as they cannot stand teams getting into them.

Yep ....

my only concern is that a 'fired up' Nigel De Jong might well get himself sent off too!

De Jong has a very important role to play. Shield the back 4 by picking up runners from midfield. Against Chelsea it is vitally important. Essien, Lampard etc like to get forward and stopping them winning the ball in those areas stops how effective Drogba/Malouda and whoever else who is playing up top can be. He allows our other midfielders to get forward the way Essien and Lampard did. I think this weekend we will miss not having Bellamy as the Chelsea full back love to get forward and with pace in behind them when they advance, we can make the most of that and exploit it. They are the perfect team to play counter attacking football against as we do. It will be a great game!

Interesting stats on that day:

Tackles:
Barry - won 7 Lost 1
Nige - won 6 lost 0

Eeh, it's a hair's breadth between being shit and putting in the greatest defensive midfield performance in footballing history.

Blue Train said:
Interesting stats on that day:

Tackles:
Barry - won 7 Lost 1
Nige - won 6 lost 0

Eeh, it's a hair's breadth between being shit and putting in the greatest defensive midfield performance in footballing history.

Interesting indeed but can you find me stats for the closing down of opponents? Bring a defensive midfielder is not always about tackles, it's about closing players down and forcing them to either play the ball side ways or backwards and NDJ does this exceptionally well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.