The Kippax - Who misses it?

I can't believe my mum used to stand in that mass of bodies. She was only 16 and had to get her season ticket behind her dads back. I've got the season ticket book here, I think it was £10 ha!

40p in and my first season ticket was 14.00.Used to hold 26000 on a good day,LFC,LUFC,MUFC etc etc.I remember getting on the pitch,next home match, after the LC final against Newcastle and turning round to a sea of blue of white,hairs stud up and I had a huge lump in my throat,brilliant stand.Planted a piece of turf in my dads lawn.....

A fiver for my first junior season ticket about 72/73 season . Remeber paying 30 quid for an adult s/t 1982. Same spot - Glossop boys for donkeys years , near the back , just off half way with a post blocking part of the north stand goal, but who cared ?? Happy days !!

Miss it even today 2/6 to get in shilling for programme spent a fair bit of childhood and youth on there. All things come to an end though and things move on for better or worse.

Only ever spent a couple of season on the Kippax Im almost 31 think it was between 1990-91 season til it was knocked down but I did love it, 4 quid on the gate I think I used to pay.

Used to stand just left of the half way line about 2/3 of the way up the stand. Great view and just managed to keep the stantions out of line of the goal views. Always remember one really packed game I was clapping my hands right in front of some blokes head, from behind him. I was quite tall! On not so busy days there was always a gap behind me and my dad. Possibly because nobody could see, but probably because my dad kept farting.

One thing I don’t miss was getting my bollocks caught on the blue steel hand rails at the top of the steps on the way out!

Don’t get to many games now but I know that few grounds could match that atmosphere

I don't miss it at all.

I stood there for several seasons because all my mates were there.

I much preferred the Scoreboard End and later the North Stand.

The last time I went in there was for a League Cup match against Chelsea during the Peter Reid or Brian Horton era. I was in Manchester on business and went along to the match. There were huge queues at the turnstiles and I missed the first 25 minutes. It reminded of how poor the view was and why I stopped standing therein the first place.

I miss Maine Road though. Not the Maine Road when it was demolished but the Maine Road of the early 1970s after the North Stand was built. Peter Swales destroyed the stadium with poorly designed stands to replace the Platt Lane and the Kippax. It looked like an architectural experiment gone wrong. Four different stands without any coherence.

Despite the monumental scale of the new Kippax the capacity was way too low for a club of City's stature even in the lower divisions. It was the right thing to do to put Maine Road out of its misery.

ANY1aBLUE said:
gio's side step said:
mcfc20kippax.jpg

5426336864_bc041943d2.jpg

http://m1.ikiwq.com/img/xl/YJKyQdJrDDNGlAlSC0x47d.jpg[img]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3347/3557457042_b72fdd141e.jpg

I miss it......................

One of them is Villa Park in the FA Cup semi against Ipswich in 81............<br /><br />-- Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:32 pm --<br /><br />Yeh, I miss it.......remember me and my mate going for the first time when we were 12 in 1975, can't remember the game, my mate will.!! Got the 53 bus from Stretford to the Princess Pub (where the away fans coaches use to park!!!!!!!) and walked to the ground. Think we paid 20p to get in, first in on gates opening and always stood in the section next to the away fans in the Kippax, just below where the copper use to stand on the tunnel.
Great atmosphere when 26,000 were stood in it..

We always stood in the same place, just above the entrance nearest the away fans. Best thing was, if you didn't like the person next to you, could always move.
And my first season ticket cost 40 quid!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.