The Kippax - Who misses it?

gio's side step said:
dctid said:
miss the singing and the atmosphere but beyond that looking back it was grim - twats pissing up the back of your leg - away fans chicking shit at ya (as did City fans - views not brilliant - rose tinted glasses for most me thinks - if people had to pay 40 plus quid a ticket today to stand in the Kippax as it was it would have one of the longest if not longest threads on this site slaggin it off

BUT Kipax was City and for that i will always always have some good feeling towards it but ultimately it was a bit grim

View wasnt that bad

I agree. I thought the angle of the steps was perfect.

blue b4 the moon said:
gio's side step said:
3749273136_256344d8b5.jpg

I spent some years walking up those steps.

That's the corner of the Kippax and the North Stand isn't it?! (it's been a long time - Maine Road RIP!!)

gio's side step said:
dctid said:
miss the singing and the atmosphere but beyond that looking back it was grim - twats pissing up the back of your leg - away fans chicking shit at ya (as did City fans - views not brilliant - rose tinted glasses for most me thinks - if people had to pay 40 plus quid a ticket today to stand in the Kippax as it was it would have one of the longest if not longest threads on this site slaggin it off

BUT Kipax was City and for that i will always always have some good feeling towards it but ultimately it was a bit grim

View wasnt that bad

Depends what sort of twat was in front of you - as a young kid my first spot was on the wall but the dibble that walked up and down pitch side would not let you sit on the wall with your feet pitch side - so you had to sit on the wall facing the kippax and twist ya fookin neck - fookin alwful - then got older and started moving up the steps - but i always seemed to get stuck behind some massive twat

as i say rose tinted glasses

Some of the best moments of my life, on there, and there weren't many grounds that I ever visited where you could get such a great view from above the half-way line at such a low price.
The stanchions were only a minor obstruction. Great days.

Me BIG TIME, used to love the fact I could decide last minute to go to a game, and know there would always be a few of my mates second beam up near the platt lane. Even my missus misses it met her a few months before kippax last stand, and she said only the other day, "I miss the old feeling stood in the kippax" bless her and were still together to this day. :0)

Started going early 80s, stood next to the wall of the tunnel nearest the north stand. So many happy memories, Charlton 85 the best. Boiling hot day, packed beyond capacity surely, everyone swaying this way and that, amazing atmosphere and a brilliant result.

Time moves on but not everything changes for the better. I'm glad I got to fall in love with City in such a special environment. The humour, the chanting, ending up 20 yards from where you were stood after celebrating a goal, the miserable fucker who was never happy but still made you laugh with his sour comments, touching the wall above your head as you walked through the tunnel on the way out, I miss it all.

I sit in East Stand level 2 now and while most of the fans are "real" - for want of a better adjective - I despair at some I encounter these days. A woman sat in front of me at a recent home game, dressed to kill (why, it's a football match ffs) spent most of the 2nd half playing solitaire on her iphone. Why bother coming at all, love ?

Several times I've passed near Maine Rd since we left but I always choose a route that means I don't set eyes on where it was. It would be too painful to see, akin to seeing the skeleton of a loved one who'd passed away.

Jeez I'm getting sentimental, snap out of it man !!!!

Santiago Street . said:
Started going early 80s, stood next to the wall of the tunnel nearest the north stand. So many happy memories, Charlton 85 the best. Boiling hot day, packed beyond capacity surely, everyone swaying this way and that, amazing atmosphere and a brilliant result.

Time moves on but not everything changes for the better. I'm glad I got to fall in love with City in such a special environment. The humour, the chanting, ending up 20 yards from where you were stood after celebrating a goal, the miserable fucker who was never happy but still made you laugh with his sour comments, touching the wall above your head as you walked through the tunnel on the way out, I miss it all.

I sit in East Stand level 2 now and while most of the fans are "real" - for want of a better adjective - I despair at some I encounter these days. A woman sat in front of me at a recent home game, dressed to kill (why, it's a football match ffs) spent most of the 2nd half playing solitaire on her iphone. Why bother coming at all, love ?

Several times I've passed near Maine Rd since we left but I always choose a route that means I don't set eyes on where it was. It would be too painful to see, akin to seeing the skeleton of a loved one who'd passed away.

Jeez I'm getting sentimental, snap out of it man !!!!

Completely understand what you are saying mate. Great post.

I stood in the Kippax for nigh on 25 years , so yeah , i miss it very much ....... but then Maine Road and Moss Side will always feel like Citys real home to me.

Watching the Charlton game and the 5-1 on the Kippax were two of the greatest experiences of my life.
But even an otherwise drab and unremarkable game could be enlivened and made memorable by some random blue ballooning or coming out with a killer one-liner.
And even before I was old enough to be allowed to go on my own, and if my old man hadn't taken me, the roar of the Kippax when City scored would carry all the way across Platt Fields and Birchfields parks and into our backyard in Longsight, where I'd be normally be kicking a ball about and waiting for Piccadilly Radio to catch up with their "It's A Goal" jingle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.