The Kippax

Around 1977 after a midweek night game had an unforgettable experience in the Kippax car park in my Ford Anglia with a local lady and a window squeegee wiper.
Had similar behind the beehive in a derelict house but that’s for another thread:)

Never ever forget my first walk up the steps and into the Kippax as a boy for my first ever game.
November 1977 we got beat by Leeds 2-3, but the result was immaterial as I had just been ordained a blue.
Went on there as a boy and years later left there as a man, a forever City fan
Most of our first games were a loss, didn’t put us off though it prepared us for the tough times to come. City fans are a different bread.

Absolute 100% joy and a privilege to have been there for all of the matches since 1975
Every game that terrace had its humour and story. And then there was something going on on the pitch! Didn’t matter because we were there.

After spending my initial years in the Platt Lane and Score Board end we finally started going into the Kippax and sat on the side of that tunnel shown in the picture, we were just kids about 1970, brings back so many memories, some good some bad, but absolutly no regrets. Experienced so much on and off the pitch, but the best was being a City Fan standing together on the Kippax, this was our stand and we deffended it against all comers, and there were quite a few, especially that shower from up the road, we stood together as one.

When I used to go in the Fletchers Arms, Ian Niven showed me a photograph taken at the City v Stoke FA Cup match in 1934. (The one where we had no fans at - only 84,569 bothered to turn up). It shows the (then) roofless stand taken from the pitch side. Almost everyone there was wearing a flat cap, except one. He was wearing a bowler hat!
For 10 years from the mid 60s to the mid 70s, I stood in the middle of the singing section at the top of the stand, then grew up and moved to above the tunnel on the right of the half way line.
I now sit in EL304 in almost exactly the same spot, between the half way line and the edge of the penalty area. The view is a lot better, though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.