The Labour Government

It's an issue that has been blown out of proportion by the Right Wing and its media.

30,000 people max on small boats out of 1.084 million arrivals from abroad (counterbalanced by the departure of only 462,000 in the opposite direction) — giving a net inflow of 622,000 in 2023.

You're looking in the wrong direction.
SPOT ON. Look at the dinghy, look at the dinghy, look at the dinghy. Meanwhile, I will syphon off billions of public money on dodgy contracts and my friends will move their businesses to tax havens while telling you of all of the glorious opportunities that exist in our post-Brexit nirvana.

Here comes the proposed Bills

Devolution of England Bill
Workers Rights Bill
Parliamentary reform of both houses
Migrant bill
Bus services under the Burnham model
Establishment of Great British Railways
Updated mental health act
Football regulator bill

And others I'm trying to remember.

Cue the outrage.

The pandemic was (obviously) worldwide... but life expectancy hasn't fallen anywhere else over the last 14years.

Nor has it in UK, it slowed. The decline in mortality is solely down to the pandemic.

That said we could still improve but it’s a multifaceted set of issues with no single answer. A huge section of society do not take responsibility for their own health through poor life style choices (diet, smoking, drinking, gambling, stress, exercise, etc) and poverty gives low health outcomes often only presenting to health care professionals when they are in crisis - solve some of all of that and you’ll surely see those numbers rise more speedily. You can certainly point to cuts in services as a reason why it was slowing but we can’t simply look to spend our way out of people not practicing self care - there are also things the government could do to limit accessibility to some of our vices if it really wanted to. It seems to have no problem in legislating for clean air (which is positive for health) but less quick to properly legislate things like gambling firms responsibility other than saying set your own limits - imagine telling an alcoholic that!!

It’s also possible we are reaching the limits of the human body with our current medical knowledge although I doubt as a species we will ever accept that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.