The Labour Government

You're not talking about a single school taking 20%. Most local authorities have more spare capacity than they have private school pupils in total, as they make up a small minority of the overall school population.

In most boroughs 20% of the local private school pupils, would only be a 5% increase in the local state schools.

The spare capacity may not have been there when you were in the state sector, but it is there now, and is expected to grow over the next few years (https://www.ft.com/content/31460ce0-c0ba-4c1d-8006-43cb698234e2).

Your last point is an interesting one, that had occurred to me. I expect the Telegraph will have plenty of parents who do try and move to the state sector, complaining that they can't get into a school. The reality is likely to be that they can get into a school, but they want to get into the best state school in the area. I agree that they may well be disappointed, just as other parents are.
Don’t expect it’s any different across the UK to where I am but my teacher son was saying schools across Edinburgh are seeing a big drop off in next years Primary 1 intake and cutting classes, put down to a reduced birth rate during Covid. With prospective parents putting off starting families because of the uncertainties and job security. A drop off expected to last 2 or 3 years and feed through the system for years.
Maybe your FT mentioned it, but can’t see the article.

Don’t expect it’s any different across the UK to where I am but my teacher son was saying schools across Edinburgh are seeing a big drop off in next years Primary 1 intake and cutting classes, put down to a reduced birth rate during Covid. With prospective parents putting off starting families because of the uncertainties and job security. A drop off expected to last 2 or 3 years and feed through the system for years.
Maybe your FT mentioned it, but can’t see the article.

Birth rates have been falling since around 2010. Most likely due to the economy being a shit show since around that time.

Yes, this drop seems is top on that, and resulted in a bigger drop from last year to next

I know in London the impact of the pandemic was marginal. We have been discussing in London about possible need to cut schools for around a decade.

The economy, housing market and reduction in EU migrants / EU migrants returning home have all had a bigger impact.

It's happening across the world.

Capital and the emancipation of women are to blame :)

If there's one thing I've learnt since Labour got into office a few weeks ago, it's that... fuck me... how soft and whiny are some of these conservative types?

I know I moaned a lot over 14 years of the Tories, but I don't think I've ever become quite as abject and pathetic as some of the comments I've seen from the right - both on here and elsewhere. The softest of soft folk. Very precious and easily upset. It really is very revealing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.