The Labour Government

But you went there voluntarily? And am I right in thinking you would have been able to leave within a reasonable time if you wanted to?
Yes I was there voluntarily and in an emergency I would be airlifted off. I supose you could say the same for an asylum seeker who has crossed a safe continent to get to the UK could you not.

If they are going to be making savings on the accommodation where are the people going to live that are on there?

More importantly how much would that cost?

The contract is not being renewed past January because they are planning to remove the backlog of claimants by actually processing their claims.

If asylum claimants in waiting are reducing in volume then they will gradually remove the most expensive of the existing accommodation options first. Hence Bibby is first to go.

So to answer your question they will either be processed or they’ll be moved to much more affordable accommodation that is currently hosting another applicant whose claim will be processed. Either way the cost to the tax payer is massively reduced.

Or, just get rid as the visual gimmicks are no longer needed now that the adults are in the room.
If they can reduce costs then I'm right behind them. Just tell us, how are they going to do it, and what will the cost reduction(s) be? As you say, the adults are now in the room, so it shouldn't be to difficult - should it?

Aside from the salmonella issue, which wasn't acceptable, I never understood what was wrong with this accommodation. I spent quite some time in similar accommodation offshore in my early career. It was fine then and it remains fine for the thousands of British workers who continue to use such facilities in the Oil and Gas industry in UK waters and further afield.

So the question is why do you think it's not good enough for asylum seekers?
Not good VFM I suspect

Iirc it’s on a lease, costing a fortune
NAO figures, based on access to Home Office accounts, show that the cost of acquiring, leasing, setting up and running the 430 capacity barge will be £34.8 million for 2023/24 and 2024/25. That equates to almost £4,500 per month per head.17 May 2024

From the Telegraph.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.