The Labour Government

They had no trouble saying yes to £3bn a year for Ukraine for as long as it takes. Fiscal rules go out of the window when it comes to war, apparently. It can be funded, they're choosing not to.
I have always said that if there was a war tomorrow, they would find the money for that. Chamberlain didn't get an estimate before declaring war in '39.

The main problems are 1. The country is deeply in debt. Labour remembers Truss and doesn't want to scare the markets. 2. People have been promised no increases in the main taxes and will be jolly cross if that promise is broken. (I do expect some 'non-main' taxes to rise BTW but I suspect they want to go gently at this point.)

So, that’s most of them on the left of the party.

Personally, I’m with you, this needs to be sorted, and quickly. What they can’t do is be beholden to those who want to bring them down at the first turn.

This will come, but in a far better way of protecting those that need it.

Most of the left of the party was a massive disappointment anyway. We were told for months that they couldn't do anything if they were not in power. Well now they have that power and they're doing nothing. This policy now has Labour's name all over it.

He was never going to lose the vote so we can disregard that bit and that fiscal competence defence doesn't really stack up. It costs the equivalent of the recent annual pledge to Ukraine, where fiscal justification is not even remotely part of the debate.

All very good points mate. I was only acting as translator not that I believe it.

I would pick Zarah Sultana to lead the new Rebel Alliance btw.

Any chance there's any other Co-operative MPs who might be tempted to defect?

They had no trouble saying yes to £3bn a year for Ukraine for as long as it takes. Fiscal rules go out of the window when it comes to war, apparently. It can be funded, they're choosing not to.

Surely got to give them more than a few weeks right ?
They’re already no doubt planning huge funding for schools, teachers, NHS and other welfare programs.
For now the benifit cap stays in place but that’s not to say it will be the same in a year or two.

They’re already no doubt planning huge funding for schools, teachers, NHS and other welfare programs.
For now the benefit cap stays in place but that’s not to say it will be the same in a year or two.
Why should kids have to live in poverty for another two years?

It's going to have a serious detrimental effect on their life chances in the future.

I have always said that if there was a war tomorrow, they would find the money for that. Chamberlain didn't get an estimate before declaring war in '39.

The main problems are 1. The country is deeply in debt. Labour remembers Truss and doesn't want to scare the markets. 2. People have been promised no increases in the main taxes and will be jolly cross if that promise is broken. (I do expect some 'non-main' taxes to rise BTW but I suspect they want to go gently at this point.)

I keep repeating myself but the money is there, this is a choice they've made. I'd like some of it to go to the less off in society and those who are repeatedly forgotten.

If you offered me £10 million a day to return to work, I'd be in the office like a shot, so it would work. However, it would not be cost-effective. And I'd jack it in after 3 days as it would be enough to satisfy my greediest instincts and then some.

As we had to accept an equal number of people from Rwanda, it was only ever, at best, a very expensive swap policy for immigrants. And Rwanda was sending us its 'complex cases'. Maybe a tad costly for the NHS and so on? A good example of 'performative policies' intended to appeal to a certain class of voter, a class unlikely to read the small print in the contract. It was neither practicable nor pragmatic. Nor was it intended to be. It was all about stirring emotions, which the modern right seems to think is a good alternative to sensible government.
I meant evidence was indicating that it was acting as a deterrent, despite us not sending anyone to Rwanda.

For now the benifit cap stays in place but that’s not to say it will be the same in a year or two.

They've literally just suspended MP's who voted to take kids out of poverty. They have actual power now. They could make a difference NOW. They chose not to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.