The Labour Government

Surely, if you have stood for a party, on a party manifesto which didn’t include a certain criteria, you’d expect to be fucked off if you went against said criteria?

Makes me think that these so called ‘ideologues’ were just in it for themselves, riding on the coat-tails to keep their job.

If you do not agree with what a party represents, go to the one you do, or, at least, have the courage of your conviction and go independent.
I just thought if I was standing for parliament for a particular party i’d have made sure i’d read the party manifesto on the off chance someone asked me a question.

.This was simply the Corbynites letting Starmer know their movement is still alive and that they are going to be to this Labour Government what the ERG were to the Tories.

Quite cynical way of thinking, especially when it comes to the subject of child poverty. The rhetoric for a long while has been that anyone voting against anything is a "faction" or a "protest" which is a quite ridiculous way of thinking.

As for the Manifesto and standing by it, the party whip has been used far too much as time has gone by, to the point where it can be seen as sometimes having actual MPs there is pointless, I would expect any MP that I voted for to question things if it didn't sit straight (child poverty is up there of course) and any amendment should be looked at, and if it is deemed to be beneficial for the area they represent vote for it, not just toe the line.

Too many of our MPs are career politicians seeing Westminster as a way to future gains, shoehorned in to constituencies where they have zero concept of what really goes on nor really care, its a mess, and its not getting better, we need to seriously look at the selection process for MPs.

Quite cynical way of thinking, especially when it comes to the subject of child poverty. The rhetoric for a long while has been that anyone voting against anything is a "faction" or a "protest" which is a quite ridiculous way of thinking.

As for the Manifesto and standing by it, the party whip has been used far too much as time has gone by, to the point where it can be seen as sometimes having actual MPs there is pointless, I would expect any MP that I voted for to question things if it didn't sit straight (child poverty is up there of course) and any amendment should be looked at, and if it is deemed to be beneficial for the area they represent vote for it, not just toe the line.

Too many of our MPs are career politicians seeing Westminster as a way to future gains, shoehorned in to constituencies where they have zero concept of what really goes on nor really care, its a mess, and its not getting better, we need to seriously look at the selection process for MPs.
I think you have to consider the alternative of free votes and no party manifestos.

We saw how that works in the Brexit deal debates under May (once she twigged that "Brexit means Brexit" wasn't a policy). Umpteen different proposals were put to Parliament and none could get a majority. In the end, to "get Brexit done", it took the worst example ever of forcing dissenters out of Parliament by a PM insisting on a loyalty test and removing talent, experience and expertise from his party and from Parliament. (And getting Brexit done despite most people voting for parties against Brexit or offering a second referendum.)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.