The Labour Government

Public sector pay leading to inflation?
An instant payrise for 5+ million people will lead to some level of inflation. I'm not saying that I disagree with a payrise, it's just an observation.

The cost of borrowing is high and Labour seemingly have fiscal rules so it is probably inevitable that money printing will pay for any spending increases. That means some devaluation of the pound and inflation.

How much will we save not going ahead with the 40 new hospitals Johnson promised?

Maybe she can cancel 30 of them, 8 from cohort 3 and 14 from cohort 4 all of which has been selected and due to start next year and the year after, then the 8 unselect projects from cohort 5.

In theory they will reduce spending overall by £15bn between 2025 and 2030ish, around £2-3bn a year. That said do these other hospitals need replacing? (we can assume yes for those that had been selected) so perhaps she’s just kicking the can down the road.

Maybe she can cancel 30 of them, 8 from cohort 3 and 14 from cohort 4 all of which has been selected and due to start next year and the year after, then the 8 unselect projects from cohort 5.

In theory they will reduce spending overall by £15bn between 2025 and 2030ish, around £2-3bn a year. That said do these other hospitals need replacing? (we can assume yes for those that had been selected) so perhaps she’s just kicking the can down the road.

I'd assume lots of hospitals need a lot of work. This 40 "hospitals" always looks a bit like the the list of transport projects that came out after HS2 was cancelled. The idea was more important than the detail.

labour's big health ideas appear to be about getting people out of hospitals, or stopping them needing to go in the first place, so it's probably not a disaster for their plans, to kick that can.

I'd assume lots of hospitals need a lot of work. This 40 "hospitals" always looks a bit like the the list of transport projects that came out after HS2 was cancelled. The idea was more important than the detail.

labour's big health ideas appear to be about getting people out of hospitals, or stopping them needing to go in the first place, so it's probably not a disaster for their plans, to kick that can.

All governments have tried to get people out of hospitals and prevent them going in, it’s not a new idea at all, in fact Labour have no new ideas in this area they just hope they can “do it better” or think they can do a better job with the PR like Streetings idea on buying thousands of care home beds, not new at all. It’s fairly straightforward to identify the problems the NHS has but quite another to solve them and Streeting strikes me as someone who is quite ambitious who thinks he can just knock a few heads together - hopefully I will be proven wrong here. I was reading an article the other day of a patient who had been in hospital, medically fit, for 10 months. He had various needs and his family refused the community places that had been offered for various reasons, it’s extremely complex to evict someone from hospital.

Where they can improve, and I think Labour will do some good work, is early interventions in schools etc but that won’t pay dividends for a generation.

All governments have tried to get people out of hospitals and prevent them going in, it’s not a new idea at all, in fact Labour have no new ideas in this area they just hope they can “do it better” or think they can do a better job with the PR like Streetings idea on buying thousands of care home beds, not new at all. It’s fairly straightforward to identify the problems the NHS has but quite another to solve them and Streeting strikes me as someone who is quite ambitious who thinks he can just knock a few heads together - hopefully I will be proven wrong here. I was reading an article the other day of a patient who had been in hospital, medically fit, for 10 months. He had various needs and his family refused the community places that had been offered for various reasons, it’s extremely complex to evict someone from hospital.

Where they can improve, and I think Labour will do some good work, is early interventions in schools etc but that won’t pay dividends for a generation.

I agree with a lot of that, but I'd argue that the Tories haven't really been trying anything coordinated for years.

Since 2015 they've been more interested in Brexit, or fighting for position. Add in Covid and Ukraine, and it's been a lot more reactionary. Seven Tory Health Secretaries since 2018, suggests that just by being in post for the full parliament, Streeting is going to be able to find it a lot easier to actually implement a few of the more obvious solutions.

I think there in a tricky situation. They want to be seen as the party of growth, but some of their policies do sound like austerity.

They want to increase junior doctors pay by 20% apparently, but you can’t do that without cuts or tax rises. I’ve also read they’re scrapping large infrastructure projects.

Seems like the economy is in a much worse state then known and labour are now going to have to push through some really difficult decisions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.