The Labour Government

Throughout the election and before/after Starmer has always shown to be quite a bit authoritarian and ruthless.

If he decided to crack down on the recent riots I can see he would give police powers to crack heads if necessary

There doesn’t need to be division if we all want the UK to be a better place to live and accept that everyone has to pay in some way for the improvement.

Where the division starts is singling out specific groups, whilst others think they should be untouched or get more.
I agree but life has shown me the chances of that happening are nil. I also don't agree others, except a very few, think they should be untouched. Its just the amount of touching they don't agree with. Oohh matron.

You're looking at a government that believes in the household budget theory of macroeconomics.

This is economic illiteracy. But before anyone gets excited, the whole Tory Party, most of the Labour Party and the Lib-Dems all believe in this model, or purport to believe in it. Most ordinary citizens believe in it too, as it appears to make sense. We all know that you can only spend and borrow so much on a given income without getting into trouble.

The reality is that the state and a private household are clean different things. But this model is so baked into to people's heads that it is very difficult to shift.

So what you have is a broadly left government tying its own hands to conform to a nonsense. This means they are severely restricted as to what they can do as they 'have to balance the books'. They are also terrified of spooking the financial markets. (A legacy of Truss.)

So expect very slow progress and some decisions you will hate. It's inevitable. The only good thing is that unlike the Tories they will not make a god of tax cuts, to the point of offering unaffordable ones.

Matliss sounds genuinely pissed off interviewing the chancellor.

That interview is really odd. There are genuine questions to be asked about the performative politics of the 'black hole' and what choices were made - but I don't understand why they expect her to be in a position to answer yes/no to every question about things that might happen in the next few years, after just a few weeks.

That interview is really odd. There are genuine questions to be asked about the performative politics of the 'black hole' and what choices were made - but I don't understand why they expect her to be in a position to answer yes/no to every question about things that might happen in the next few years, after just a few weeks.
There was a little too much keeping her powder dry for me.

Where she was asked about the difficult decisions where they have dropped things like the social care policy, she could have said they need to first fix the economy then we can look to reconsidering the recommendations of the Dilnot report, it would soften the response and make it feel more caring.

Undoubtedly she is playing the hard line like any new manager or teacher until she finds her feet. Its always easier to soften your approach later than start off very conciliatory and then become more hardline.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.