The Labour Government

Truss wanted to borrow money, not to invest, but to waste on tax cuts for the rich. Who would simply have taken the money and stashed it, to some extent in tax havens.

It's like going to a bank manager for a loan (when you are already in debt) to splash on a lavish party. If the plan is to extend your house you would get a better hearing.

There is also a difference between 'restrained spending' and obsession with a wholly artificial need to 'balance the books'. Because, as I said, a state is not a household. The only limit on spending is resources. If your policy needs 10,000 bricklayers when only 5,000 are available, that causes inflation.

Tax only exists to limit inflation. It takes money out of the economy that would otherwise be used to (in my example) employ bricklayers. The Government could fund itself wholly by printing (or creating) money, but inflation would soar - really soar. This is why the 'taxation is theft' brigade is economically illiterate too.
I don't see how this changes things.

Where does government borrowing come from? When the government borrows they borrow through market instruments such as bonds. Organisations such as pension funds invest in those bonds but they only do so on the basis of their longevity and stability, they do not care about the political aspects or the party in power.

Therefore if the government does anything that increases risk then the markets will be spooked or the cost of those bonds will increase. The markets were spooked because of the simple fact that Truss wildly and blindly promised something that she couldn't fund. It's like Blackburn trying to buy Messi, the people supplying the loans would certainly think twice about lending that money!

I understand that you're making the spend to grow argument but do you realistically think in this global climate that we can spend and then grow at a greater rate than currently? I say no, the global economy is on its arse, therefore where is UK growth going to come from?

This argument only makes sense if UK growth is less than everybody else and austerity is holding it back. It's really hard to make this argument given the UK is currently growing faster than say Germany and most other major countries in Europe.

If the economy doesn't grow and we become further indebted then what happens when COVID #2 comes along in 5 years, or war, a housing crash or something else? Considerable additional spending is therefore clearly reckless but I do agree restrained spending is needed however Labour have been in power for just 2 months, give them a chance.

Last edited:

The Robot has spoken

Explains why the RMT haven't been given a new pay offer.

She knows that if she gives in completely public pay will spiral and she keeps telling everyone that will listen that we can't afford it and we probably can't.

I'm just waiting for the unions to strangle the life out of the country.

She knows that if she gives in completely public pay will spiral and she keeps telling everyone that will listen that we can't afford it and we probably can't.

I'm just waiting for the unions to strangle the life out of the country.
More chance of being offered a soapy tit wank by the deputy PM.

He’s fucking right though, isn’t he?
He is, but they as a pep up to the nation he could still tell Ofgem to get fucked and freeze energy prices.

but they won't and only so long can he say "oh well we're skint" as all labour are doing is help feed the negative agenda of them tgat has been planned for a while by mamy of tge wankstains like Oakenshot and Grimes claiming he and tge party are already going back on pre election comments, which encoueage cunts on the right who are trying to use to sow seed of doubt and whip up protest.

People react better to positivity and optimism than pragmatism.

He could say things are gonna get worse, but we will help with this, unfortunately he is too stuffed shirt and just tells the depressing news as it is with no sense of hope.

Last edited:
Thiiings can only get wooorrrse....

I don't remember them saying that in their manifesto.

Well, we knew the last year before the election the Tories (deliberately or not) were in Scorched Earth mode, not least with unfunded tax cuts. Still, you'd hope that there might be some "sunlit uplands" to encourage people. There are still some on the Brexit thread who think that went well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.