The Labour Government

Jonathan Reynolds on now saying even legal migration numbers must come down.

The Tories haven't built any houses because they are a political party not Barret homes, again how many migrants do you want, currently running at over five hundred thousand a year, supply and demand keeps rents and house prices unaffordable for young people. The recent demographics of sub-Saharan shows the population over a billion with hundreds of millions planning to move to Europe. How many do you think the UK can take in? ten, twenty, thirty million?
"This will see us build at least a million more homes, of all tenures, in the next Parliament" (2019 Tory manifesto) - and "we will build 40 new hospitals".

I've no idea what source you have for "recent demographics of sub-Saharan (Africa?)" but it sounds like a Faragist nonsense (like the entire population of Turkey would move to the UK if they joined the EU).

Most Africans migration is within Africa (thanks to Freedom of Movement agreements between many African countries).

Restoring the 0.7% foreign aid budget and stemming the international arms trade would help too. But having canvassed a flat on Thursday now occupied by an African engineer who's working for UU on stopping shit going in rivers, I'm sure we could happily recruit some African bricklayers to answer all the adverts on building sites.

I've no idea how immigration became a factor in the post about a Labour council's housebuilding record, but the population of Leeds has been going up by about 6,000 a year and they and private developers have been building about 3,000 houses a year.

The Tories have failed to build enough new houses. MPs representing NIMBYism forced them to drop targets.

I really hope you're not going to be spreading cynicism before the new government has done anything toward fulfilling its housing policies.
That fact is we haven't been building enough houses since the late 80s early nineties. In the 70s and 80s we were building between 250,000 and 350,000 houses a year, and our population at the time was going up very slowly.

House building numbers declined in the late 80s and early 90s to an average approximately 160,000 homes a year, where it has stubornly stayed. Even through the labour government.

The Government needs to nationalise the Port Talbot steel works and retain the blast furnaces. We need to retain our ability to make steel from iron ore which is a critical infrastructure component, an essential ingredient in not becoming reliant on other nations to make our steel. Otherwise we will just have some steel recycling centres.

That fact is we haven't been building enough houses since the late 80s early nineties. In the 70s and 80s we were building between 250,000 and 350,000 houses a year, and our population at the time was going up very slowly.

House building numbers declined in the late 80s and early 90s to an average approximately 160,000 homes a year, where it has stubornly stayed. Even through the labour government.

Crazy when where I live it’s just constant building new estates after new estates with roads and traffic getting worse by the day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.