The Labour Government

My in-laws are pretty well off. Both retired in their early 50s, because they had generous pensions. They don't need the winter fuel allowance. They've even tried to have their's cancelled, out of guilt, in the past. In fact there's an awful lot of well-off baby boomers who don't need that money, and a lot of younger people, who are far worse off, who do need it. The same younger people who probably aren't going to be able to retire until their 70. It's right that the fuel payment is means tested. The important thing is making sure that older people, who need the benefit, are able and encouraged to apply for it.
Get them to donate to a decent charity and make sure they "gift aid" it. That adds another 20-40% to their contribution.

99% of politicians are cunts……end of
Agreed.

I said in a previous post that I think ALL governments are incompetent at running anything (which incidentally is why I am a Tory, because shit though they are, they want to run less things than Labour do).

Then today, I read this:

"Woeful budgeting" has resulted in the Home Office spending on average 23 times more per year than it had allocated on asylum seekers, a watchdog has claimed."

"The department has set £110m aside for "asylum operations" for the past three years but a new report from the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said the actual spend had averaged £2.6bn a year in that time."

"When it is happening year after year, something is going wrong with the budgeting process."

Seriously??? Out by a factor if 23x year after year? I mean if you have a budget of £10 and you end up spending £11 or £12 then fair enough. But a budget of £10 and you end up spending £230??? And then you do the same again, and again and again.

This is beyond incompetent. But not remotely surprising.

I notice now there is a row about the staffing of key posts in the No.10 unit. Plus ca change.

We manage the money for her so luckily her investments have grown but changing them

Maybe worth talking to your parents about getting rid of some before October
Only £3k per year can be gifted to other people to avoid inheritance tax if someone dies within 7 years. Eg, Mrs Smith gives her daughter £20k in 2024 then pops her clogs in 2025, 17k of the gift would form part of her estate.

Of course there's ways around it such as trust funds but technically this is UK law.

If someone deliberately gives a house away and moves into care at any stage in the future without paying for it the 7 year rule doesn't apply, it can be any number of years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.