The Labour Government

I keep reading this about the demographic that didn't vote for Labour being pensioners.... of the pensioners I know and let's face it they are my demographic (nice word I like it) every single one of them voted Labour and nearly always have done. The only two who didn't were in a very rural area where they had to vote strategically for the Lib Dem to keep the Tory out.

Maybe I knock around with the wrong kind of people. :-)
Just different people.

I don't know if you missed it but I posted this earlier. This is Yougov's analysis of voting demographics in the last election. I don't have the legend, but you can guess which is red and which is blue. Whereas Labout polled 33% of the vote overall, they only got 1 vote in 5 of the over 65's. Striking to me that even after 14 years of stagnation or decline (and we can debate why, but not now), and given just how unpopular the Tories were, still 2x as many pensioners voted Tory vs Labour!
1726078684545.png

Half of the £22bn is down to the public sector pay rises they, rightly or wrongly, doled out.

Stop drinking on the Starmer cool aid.

Half of the £22 billion is down to public sector pay rises that were recommended by Independent pay review bodies (set up by the Government to advise on the pay increase that public workers need / should get) . If only the Tories had honoured this ...

Let's all be honest here, taking away winter fuel payments for pensioners is a shit trick, there is no other way to categorise this action. Punishing Labour MPs who abstained or voted against the change is just wrong.

Also in other news, Labour sign the death knell for new steel production in the UK. A sad day indeed. I would have preferred nationalisation and steel import duties, now we will be reliant on other countries for new steel production. All done under the guise of reducing green house gas emissions. Which is utter nonsense when we will now have to import new steel made in blast furnaces from other countries.

Steel production in the UK is owned by the Chinese .... sold off by the Tories .... WTF did you expect to happen ?

I don’t know who it was on the BBC the other day but they said a one off 2% wealth tax on people worth over £20m would fill the “black hole (stupid term)” instantly.
Mathematically correct perhaps (I don't know) but almost certainly not correct in reality since a very large proportion of that group would I am sure, decide not to pay it. Since tax for people that well off is pretty much a voluntary thing, and if they feel the rates are too high, they just move things around so they don't have to pay.

Mathematically correct perhaps (I don't know) but almost certainly not correct in reality since a very large proportion of that group would I am sure, decide not to pay it. Since tax for people that well off is pretty much a voluntary thing, and if they feel the rates are too high, they just move things around so they don't have to pay.

Conservatism in a nutshell.

Steel production in the UK is owned by the Chinese .... sold off by the Tories .... WTF did you expect to happen ?
The British company, Corus, was bailed out and ultimately acquired by Tata. The Tories had fuck all to do with it mate. In fact one Tony Blair was PM at the time.

Tata is actually Indian owned not Chineese, you could at least get the basics right?

Nationalise the Port Talbot facility when Tata walks away without a penny of tax payer subsidy. Then bring in steel import tariffs to level the field.

I thought it was obvious, why did you not understand that from my initial post?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.