The Labour Government

Whats the acceptable time to start judging the decisions then mate?

When it doesn’t hurt their feelings.

Rule 1 - come back in 5 years
Rule 2 - only discuss the good things (of which they will do and plenty I hope)

It’s a cult with some on here and they laugh at the dippers.

Playing with fire.

If an assessment was done and says anything about excess deaths, Starmer would have no choice other than to bury it, or his career as PM is over.

Now, if there is such a document, and it leaks - which it will if it exists - his career is also over.

Also pretty damning if they didn't do any assessment at all.

Any which way, a poll tax moment. As soon as people start dying from cold - and thousands do every year - this will haunt him.

Losing £200 wfa = bad Labour.
Losing £169.50 free TV licence = good Tory.
This £200 is incorrect, Mrs H is nearly two years older than me, she got her first WFA last November and it was £500, if the two of us had been eligible it would have been £250 each.

Thanks for that. In the same spirit:

(c) Every household? Low-income households got help, and if you got the winter fuel payment you also got a "one-off" cost of living payment (£150 to £300, depending on age). [At least, that's my understanding - all quite complicated.] Now the Tories might have been able to afford another one-off payment this winter if they hadn't given people an unaffordable 4% off NI contributions. But pensions have gone up £1900 in two years so, as I said, nearly ten times the basic (£200) WFP. (I rounded up.)
In August, “Food inflation eased, with fresh food prices, especially fruit, meat and fish, seeing the biggest monthly decrease since December 2020 as supplier input costs lessened.” [British Retail Consortium] But all food was still 2% up on previous August, so that makes us both right.

(e) As you say, winter excess deaths don't mean all "died of cold". And it certainly doesn't mean 13,400 (let alone 2 million) will die because they can't afford to heat their homes. I don't think this research covers whether you're more likely to die from being cold in your home or from getting out and about and catching flu (or slipping and breaking your hip), but it does challenge the value of the stats.
https://journals.lww.com/epidem/fulltext/2016/07000/the_excess_winter_deaths_measure__why_its_use_is.6.aspx#:~:text=Many parts of the world,key role, particularly ambient temperature.
Regards (c), I was just going off what Martin Lewis said. He generally knows his stuff I think and he said that every household that used to get WFA is now £500 worse off this year compared to last year. (Unless they apply for and get pension credit, which he also says is totally unrealistic for all 800,000 eligible people). My souce is here, if you want to watch it.

Regards the rest, fair points.

Honestly, thinking about this, I think Starmer will be gone by end of 2025 if not sooner. The Labour zealots will doubtless laugh at that, and yes Labour do not have a history of ousting their leaders.

But I cannot see him lasting. He's demonstrating every week that he is politically incompetent. He's almost systematically pissing off every demographic, every section of society, other than the most devout and blinkered Labour supporters.

I don't know which exact (metaphorical!) bullet will get him but I think something will. Whether it be dead pensioners, or released criminals, or some international gaff, or caught lying to the house, or whatever. He will be forced to resign I think. I am *certain* he is going to increase taxes on "working people" in a few weeks time as well. I can only imagine how that will be received.

I am not suggesting his demise will result in a general election - we are stuck with Labour for 5 more years I am pretty sure. But I cannot see Starmer lasting the full term at all. His popularity ratings are going to continue to plummet and then something will get him.

Honestly, thinking about this, I think Starmer will be gone by end of 2025 if not sooner. The Labour zealots will doubtless laugh at that, and yes Labour do not have a history of ousting their leaders.

But I cannot see him lasting. He's demonstrating every week that he is politically incompetent. He's almost systematically pissing off every demographic, every section of society, other than the most devout and blinkered Labour supporters.

I don't know which exact (metaphorical!) bullet will get him but I think something will. Whether it be dead pensioners, or released criminals, or some international gaff, or caught lying to the house, or whatever. He will be forced to resign I think. I am *certain* he is going to increase taxes on "working people" in a few weeks time as well. I can only imagine how that will be received.

I am not suggesting his demise will result in a general election - we are stuck with Labour for 5 more years I am pretty sure. But I cannot see Starmer lasting the full term at all. His popularity ratings are going to continue to plummet and then something will get him.
I agree with what you say there. Have you noticed Ange seems to be keeping her distance, probably sharpening the knife.

Fantastical futurology is the copiate of the alt-right.

Are you considered the poorest pensioners or reasonably well off?
Some benefits are paid not based on ability to pay but on costs incurred that are above what would be expected for a heathy active person Personal independence payment or example. WFA recognises the increased costs of maintaining a comfortable temperature for the elderly. How much could be saved means testing PIP?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.