The Labour Government

i'm not seeing 'third world' out me office window in Mcr fella...Chorley though?...well i'll give you that...
Chorley is maybe a bad example as we do have an M&S now! We also got electrified railway lines 7-8 years ago so watch your back....

We did have our A&E taken away from us so if you're having a heart attack then you will need to travel 15 miles down the M6 to Preston. Swings and roundabouts....

when the big picture becomes visible - at the moment (predictably) the Right is trying to hold everyone's face so close to the screen people are judging individual pixels not whats is on the whole screen

This isn't a new thing though is it?

And we will always have those who support the party in power spouting about unfair they have it.

Strong rumours that the single occupier council tax allowance is going to be scrapped. Oldham council for one are deep in the mire financially , 33,000 single occupiers will pay circa and extra 50 to 60 quid a month, do the numbers yourselves what that generates per annum for these poor poor councils that have mis spent our money for decades. How on earth is it right that a single occupier who produces far less waste than a household with 4 plus people in them has to pay the same ? Oldham council are deep in the mire because in their own words they're spending obscene amounts of money on temporary housing and for children's and adults social care. Couple that with the winter fuel allowance being scrapped and the inevitable climate levy for Greater Manchester drivers coming in, its fair to say that tough times are ahead for hard working people of Greater Manchester. This country is fucked, worse than it ever has been.

Honestly, thinking about this, I think Starmer will be gone by end of 2025 if not sooner. The Labour zealots will doubtless laugh at that, and yes Labour do not have a history of ousting their leaders.

But I cannot see him lasting. He's demonstrating every week that he is politically incompetent. He's almost systematically pissing off every demographic, every section of society, other than the most devout and blinkered Labour supporters.

I don't know which exact (metaphorical!) bullet will get him but I think something will. Whether it be dead pensioners, or released criminals, or some international gaff, or caught lying to the house, or whatever. He will be forced to resign I think. I am *certain* he is going to increase taxes on "working people" in a few weeks time as well. I can only imagine how that will be received.

I am not suggesting his demise will result in a general election - we are stuck with Labour for 5 more years I am pretty sure. But I cannot see Starmer lasting the full term at all. His popularity ratings are going to continue to plummet and then something will get him.
Starmer is safer than the Rags in a premier league hearing.

Anyone who dares to challenge him will be booted out of the party along with their supporters. This is speaking from my own experience.

His biggest challenger is Streeting and that **** has already had his card marked to behave or some of his skeletons will come out which would make your average Tory party MP look pious.

I dunno whether this will get him in the end. Maybe it will, maybe not.

But the lies become more and more apparent, day by day. Now we are told, and I quote " 'The Government will be ensuring that those who are most vulnerable and should be receiving support are receiving it, and that's why there is a huge effort to try and convert people onto pension credit."

There are two possibilities. Either the above is a lie. Or alternatively the "We had to make the changes to WFA in order to balance the books and reassure the markets"* is a lie.

It's either lie A or lie B. No money at all will be saved if significant numbers claim pension credit. So logically, either the government does not want or expect them to claim it, or it is not expecting to save any money. There's no escaping their dishonesty here.

* Not an actual quote, but I will dig one out should any pedants demand it. That is - in terms - what has been said.

I suspect this issue will not prove to be fatal. Especially when the impact on this policy will be limited compared to the likely impact of other policies that are going to be implemented in the next couple of years. This is just the start.

Strong rumours that the single occupier council tax allowance is going to be scrapped. Oldham council for one are deep in the mire financially , 33,000 single occupiers will pay circa and extra 50 to 60 quid a month, do the numbers yourselves what that generates per annum for these poor poor councils that have mis spent our money for decades. How on earth is it right that a single occupier who produces far less waste than a household with 4 plus people in them has to pay the same ? Oldham council are deep in the mire because in their own words they're spending obscene amounts of money on temporary housing and for children's and adults social care. Couple that with the winter fuel allowance being scrapped and the inevitable climate levy for Greater Manchester drivers coming in, its fair to say that tough times are ahead for hard working people of Greater Manchester. This country is fucked, worse than it ever has been.

I have worked for councils for a while. You won't get me saying they do not waste money. I have wanted to pull my hair out at times with some of the decisions that have been made by employers. However, I would also add that large organisations, public and private, rarely avoid significant waste. It's the nature of the beast. There is waste in councils due to bureaucracy. This bureaucracy is required as they have to account for decisions made as they are spending public money. You wouldn't believe how long it sometimes takes to implement just basic changes.

You also have to remember that councils are political. Thus, many key decisions are based on the decisions of elected officials. It is the public who vote these individuals into office.

As for your comment about a family being more costly than a single person, that is not necessarily true. A single person, because of no family, may well require social care support, which is our most costly service. Also, due to likelihood of lower incomes among single adult households, they may require housing benefit etc..

For the record, social care costs have rocketed and so has the burden of temporary accommodation. The councils can do very little about that. They have legal obligations in these areas. Have you got a solution for how councils can minimise the increased costs associated with temporary accommodation and social care?

It's easy to be a critic. Anyone can do it.

Just to add: yes, the country is in a mess. I think the reasons for this have already been well discussed in this forum.

I get that there are problems to fix, but I wonder how long we are going to hear the excuse that it is down to the last Government.

Apparently they can't pay postmasters and the delay is down to the last government?

Its getting a bit tedious already. The buck now stops with you Starmer, you need to own it.
Wtf , he has been in two months and it is a fact that the tories have broken the country

Draw down for me, just in the process of finalising it on Monday, if I left as an annuity it halves the yearly benefit to Mrs H if I died so she would need to live until age 91 before she starts making a profit. Draw down even with the tax implications is the most sensible option, the annuity option doesn't have built in inflationary increases, only a portion of it rises by 3% pa, it's not a great scheme (run by Aviva now).
Off topic but make sure you're savvy about how you draw down to minimise tax implications, how you combine any ISAs you may have and tax free part of the draw down can make you thousand better off in the long run particularly at the point when state pension kicks in.

Accept that is a big difference but the big similarity is that it is paid regardless of financial need
Pips is paid so people can pay for things like carers and allows the disabled person to get out and live , it is much more expensive to be disabled than able bodied . There is different rates of pips based on what you can and cant do so it is targetted , the re-assessments are often and much harder

It is not something to means test

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.