The Labour Government

So .... it was a political decision then ?
Why with this WFA debate could the Government have said in the first instance, any people of pensionable age that pay the higher rate of tax will have the payment stopped. Would have been a much fairer process to start with.

Unsurprisingly the Labour Government have shafted the poorer and needy again.

Reactions: PPT
Lammy has assured us it’s fine…

He notes that there is "no budget" for clothing for our PM, while in other countries, such as the US, there is a "substantial budget" so that when appearing on the world stage, they represent their countries well.

"So it is the case that successive leaders of the opposition wanting to represent the country on an international stage, and prime ministers have used donors to fund that budget."

PM earns £160K a year. How does anyone expect him to buy his own clothes with that eh?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Make them pay tax on these “benefits in kind” and see how quickly it clears itself up.

Can benefits accessible to only certain demographics, in the truest sense of the word,be described as "universal" ? Course not. I think that is you making a leap tbh.

The argument is that the way the WFA is administered is based on the idea of universal provision. Accessibility to all regardless of need to ensure nobody falls through the cracks. The inevitable trade off being people get stuff they don't necessarily need.

The counter argument, that it is an inefficient allocation of resources is clearly a valid one but is the trade off, people potentially falling through the cracks, worth it?

Totally agree on rates being a fairer system but it is not even remotely part of the political landscape so I guess both a leap and wide of the mark ;-)
I may have missed the point in the article, then. I took the author to be starting from saying that a universal benefit was when anyone who needed it would get it but then leapt to saying that at least some benefits are or should be universal in that everyone gets it regardless of need. (The assumption is that those who don't need it have paid enough in tax to get back their contribution and leave enough to pay for those who do need it but have contributed less.)

Logically, paying benefits to those who don't need it runs a risk of someone "falling through the cracks" but equally logically you'd pay disability benefit to everyone in case someone's disability didn't quite meet the criteria. (Whether the criteria are appropriate is a separate issue, especially if assessors of ability are incentivised to reject applications.) In this case, the "crack" appears to be the nonsense that someone who qualifies for the WFP gets that benefit, but someone just over the threshold gets nothing, so ends up with much less than someone just below the threshold.

Re the rates, I thought it was instructive that Michael Heseltine - who benefitted massively (four big houses) was the first "big beast" to pull the plug on the poll tax (voted for it in Scotland in 1989 but opposed it in England in 1990).

Last edited:
My aunt and uncle are quite capable of financing their grandkids Christmas presents by themselves, without the need for the taxpayer to do it

The WFA is not there to fund Sam or Luke's latest bloody video game. And why should it be??
but it IS (was) there to help older people on the really shit state pension to stay warm.

Rich pensioners can afford their heating , single pensioners on £11,500 PA state pension to survive on struggle like fuck. They cannot claim pension credit either.

Why can't people understand this simple fact?

Reactions: PPT
this Govt should sort out all the cunts claiming for cars that they don't need.....druggies in high rise blocks claiming pip etc. Paying fuck all rent . council tax, plus receiving tons of cash they dont need.

Sort that shit out before picking on the vulnerable piss easy targets.

I may have missed the point in the article, then. I took the author to be starting from saying that a universal benefit was when anyone who needed it would get it but then leapt to saying that at least some benefits are or should be universal in that everyone gets it regardless of need. (The assumption is that those who don't need it have paid enough in tax to get back their contribution and leave enough to pay for those who do need it but have contributed less.)

Logically, paying benefits to those who don't need it runs a risk of someone "falling through the cracks" but equally logically you'd pay disability benefit to everyone in case someone's disability didn't quite meet the criteria. (Whether the criteria are appropriate is a separate issue, especially if assessors of ability are incentivised to reject applications.) In this case, the "crack" appears to be the nonsense that someone who qualifies for the WFP gets that benefit, but someone just over the threshold gets nothing, so ends up with much less than someone just below the threshold.

Re the rates, I thought it was instructive that Michael Heseltine - who benefitted massively (four big houses) was the first "big beast" to pull the plug on the poll tax (voted for it in Scotland in 1989 but opposed it in England in 1990).
My “problem” is I genuinely wonder how much these changes are driven by a strong - and virtuous - desire to make things better for poor people. Or is it really about a bitter resentment of those better off and a drive to take money off those better off? Given the obvious hardship which will ensue as a result of the WFA changes for hundreds of thousands of poor people, and given the myriad of alternative tax and spending changes Reeves *could* have made, it’s really difficult to conclude that her motivations were entirely the former!

I’ve said before, does it *really* matter if someone on £100k per year who’s paying £40,000 in tax every year, only pays £39,800 because they got £200 back? Are we so petty that this is really a big deal?

There is a lot to be said for universal benefits because the admin cost is close to zero, as is the possibility of fraud and abuse.

And if it is such a big problem, why not just increase the pension by £300 whilst taking the £300 away? At least then the higher rate tax payers would pay tax on the benefit and get less.

One thing is clear to me though. I think it was a stupid move to rule out income tax, NI and VAT changes. And fiscal rule changes. Reeves now has a straight jacket within to operate which will necessitate all sorts of stupid policies.

Last edited:
In total, the UK has committed almost £12.7 billion for Ukraine: £7.6 billion in military support and £5 billion in non-military support. Winter fuel payment costs £1.5bn. I'm not suggesting binning the Ukraine funding, but maybe the £1.5bn should come off that rather than our pensioners.
I’d far rather tell Ed Silliband that he only gets £9.5bn for his silly foreign green policy initiatives, and not £11bn.

Wouldn’t you? And the other 67m people in this country agree?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.