The Labour Government

Are you not happy the strikes are over?
Doesn’t sound like they are over though does it, if they intend to strike again next year? If you hand over a very large pay rise with no conditions or acknowledgment around pay restoration, and then downplay the cost of this settlement, then it’s no surprise that strikes remain on the agenda.

I think the drop in the ocean comment from Reeves was incredibly naive, and will have aggravated the situation.

Reactions: PPT
Doesn’t sound like they are over though does it, if they intend to strike again next year? If you hand over a very large pay rise with no conditions or acknowledgment around pay restoration, and then downplay the cost of this settlement, then it’s no surprise that strikes remain on the agenda.

I think the drop in the ocean comment from Reeves was incredibly naive, and will have aggravated the situation.
I may be wrong but sure it was claimed on TV yesterday that future strikes are not on the agenda anymore

I suspect the drop in the ocean comment ( whilst not a good look) is referring to the consequences of ongoing strikes

Yet there was a junior doctors representative on 5 Live this morning pretty much saying if we dont get another inflation busting pay rise there's likely to be strike action from April 2025. Now there may be a bit of posturing going on, but there is a clear message that acceptance of the most recent offer is just a small respite until after the winter.

Have a listen back it was on around 7:15am. I appreciate its too early to fully judge, but how the government handle this going forwards ensuring that any future increases are linked to contractual reforms around retention of staff during and post full qualification should be the crux of if its correct and successful or just bowing to union pressure.

Yup. They know how to get what they want. Nurses vote result will be known soon. They also know how to get what they want - Mrs MB has voted for strike action. They can bring a hospital to a standstill far more effectively than a junior doctor and the nurses (that I hear of) are really really pissed off now - if they go out A&E / cancer services will remain covered but gloves off for anything else, let the junior doctors put a pinni on and do the ward work is the general feeling I’m hearing (although I would expect that covered as well) - but forget out patient clinics and routine operations - build the backlog = get pay deal. The sense of unity in the NHS of shit pay and shit work has been shattered.

I may be wrong but sure it was claimed on TV yesterday that future strikes are not on the agenda anymore
As @Kompany Car posted earlier, a representative of the BMA was on 5live this morning (just after 7am if you want to listen to it) and he seemed quite adamant that if the April 2025 pay offer wasn’t substantially above inflation, then they would striking again or at least moving to do so.

The BMA are sticking to this 20% real terms pay cut figure, and want their future pay rewards to restore this. Unfortunately you can only justify this 20% figure by using RPI as the inflation measure, which shouldn’t really be happening because of flaws with the RPI, and so this could prove a difficult issue next spring.

As @Kompany Car posted earlier, a representative of the BMA was on 5live this morning (just after 7am if you want to listen to it) and he seemed quite adamant that if the April 2025 pay offer wasn’t substantially above inflation, then they would striking again or at least moving to do so.

The BMA are sticking to this 20% real terms pay cut figure, and want their future pay rewards to restore this. Unfortunately you can only justify this 20% figure by using RPI as the inflation measure, which shouldn’t really be happening because of flaws with the RPI, and so this could prove a difficult issue next spring.
Fair enough. The problem is now the NHS is in the driving seat and, for me, this is a result of years of austerity and undervaluing the staff at all levels.

It’s down to Labour now to sort this and I believe they will

Yup. They know how to get what they want. Nurses vote result will be known soon. They also know how to get what they want - Mrs MB has voted for strike action. They can bring a hospital to a standstill far more effectively than a junior doctor and the nurses (that I hear of) are really really pissed off now - if they go out A&E / cancer services will remain covered but gloves off for anything else, let the junior doctors put a pinni on and do the ward work is the general feeling I’m hearing (although I would expect that covered as well) - but forget out patient clinics and routine operations - build the backlog = get pay deal. The sense of unity in the NHS of shit pay and shit work has been shattered.
That sounds like a good thing mate. No one should accept shit working conditions and shit pay. Hope your wife and her colleagues get what they deserve and they feel is right.

I admit it's a big mistake, but I believe you should judge them on their record not on one issue.

That policy will forever haunt them, just like Thatcher the milk snatcher haunted her, that's why I cannot believe they thought the policy was a good idea. Especially as they made a.big deal about pensioners riding on buses all day to keep warm when they were in opposition.
Also they were elected to govern Britain first. If there is a 22 billion black hole ( Which if there is the police should be investigating it as it looks like fraud to me ) then giving 11 billion to Africa, 4 billion to Italy and almost 4 billion to Ukraine ( recurring) isn't going down well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.