The Labour Government

Employment rights? No no-fault evictions? Right to ask for a 4-day week?

Robbing pensioners, ending the 25% single person's council tax allowance, ending free bus passes, the last two allegedly at the moment,but being strongly fed to the public so probably will happen.
I'm not a conservative voter or supporter I've been a labour leaning voter if anything but this isn't like any labour government I recognise so far.

I'll tell you something else about labour. In 1988 I was on the Seamans strike in Dover for 16 months. They were in opposition and on two occasions visited the picket line. One of the visitors was John Prescott an ex seaman himself for a while. It was all, "Don't worry lads if we get elected we won't forget you and will fight for your rights and justice." Once they did get elected he never answered one bit of correspondence from any of our members. He was never seen again, except on TV.

The impact assessment is from Jeremy Corbyn's Labour in 2017.

It's probably inaccurate due to the passage of time and you wouldn't ordinarily trust that as a source.

Were you appalled at Mrs May saying she would change the policy in 2017?

Not sure you’re helping your argument here, to put it mildly.

The sharp rise in energy prices since 2017 is the more obvious reason why the previous impact assessment is now likely to be obsolete, and likely to understate the hardship caused by the removal of the WFA. Hence the need for a new analysis.

Has that rise in energy prices slipped your mind, or are you simply not arsed because removing the WFA doesn’t directly impact yourself? Or just not arsed because some of the possibly thousands of people now placed at risk may not have voted Labour? Although of course we don’t know quite how many people are likely to be put at risk by the removal of the WFA, because the government didn’t conduct any proper analysis.

Your point about Theresa May, who I thought was utterly incompetent by the way, is irrelevant because she didn’t remove the WFA. Had she done so, you would have been the among first to protest.

They were always going to make mistakes, but surely the time to judge them is after 9mths at least on the economy, and 5 years for the social policies etc.

Mistakes? One of the first things you don't do is attack the weakest. The sheer arrogance to say they didn't do an impact study on the effects of cutting the winter fuel payment for pensioners is staggering. They actually didn't need one, it will mean misery and death for many, even the most stupid person could see that. An estimated 4,000 extra deaths and that information is from a think tank who did do a study.

Yet there was a junior doctors representative on 5 Live this morning pretty much saying if we dont get another inflation busting pay rise there's likely to be strike action from April 2025. Now there may be a bit of posturing going on, but there is a clear message that acceptance of the most recent offer is just a small respite until after the winter.

Have a listen back it was on around 7:15am. I appreciate its too early to fully judge, but how the government handle this going forwards ensuring that any future increases are linked to contractual reforms around retention of staff during and post full qualification should be the crux of if its correct and successful or just bowing to union pressure.
It’s hardly surprising that the junior doctors have hardened their position on industrial action after Reeves described the cost of their latest pay settlement as a ‘drop in the ocean’.

Not challenging the junior doctors’ use of the RPI as the appropriate measure of inflation, and their guide to pay restoration, was a further mistake.

It’s hardly surprising that the junior doctors have hardened their position on industrial action after Reeves described the cost of their latest pay settlement as a ‘drop in the ocean’.

Not challenging the junior doctors’ use of the RPI as the appropriate measure of inflation, and their guide to pay restoration, was a further mistake.
Are you not happy the strikes are over?

Mistakes? One of the first things you don't do is attack the weakest. The sheer arrogance to say they didn't do an impact study on the effects of cutting the winter fuel payment for pensioners is staggering. They actually didn't need one, it will mean misery and death for many, even the most stupid person could see that. An estimated 4,000 extra deaths and that information is from a think tank who did do a study.
I admit it's a big mistake, but I believe you should judge them on their record not on one issue.

Employment rights? No no-fault evictions? Right to ask for a 4-day week?

All great policies. If that’s all they’d done I’d be praising them.

All of them drowned out by the WFA. It’s a huge mistake - not removing it but where they have set it being removed. The reasons given for removing it getting more desperate and bizarre. Fairly or not the public have linked it to public sector pay rises due to the clumsy timing of the announcement.

I can guarantee a pensioner, who was previously receiving the WFA, will die of hyperthermia this winter, in fact thousands will. They may well have died of hyperthermia if the WFA remained but the headlines and view the public get are going to be horrible. “Reeves Reeves lets them freeze” will be a headline.

The government hope it will all be forgotten next election but partygate and the such paint that as a dangerous strategy as the voting public are very able to ignore any good done and magnify the bad. Reeves will know she has fucked up (you can see it in her face) but wants to instil confidence in the iron chancellor and not create an impression of being floppy on policy. Starmer knows he should sack Reeves and reverse it but he can’t then point to stability. He may have even considered a free vote to let it be defeated but had to back Reeves. It has been a disaster and the government is trying to tough it out.

Reeves is now going to have to tread very carefully in her October budget to not create unintended consequences on her tax raising policies. Nor create a huge sense of unfairness.

But yeah good job on renters bill and that.

Reactions: PPT

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.