The Labour Government

He won't even allow a few days.
I don't mind chippy boy - he can certainly take it as well as give it out and has his own opinions. What pisses me off is the RW in general are so adept at slipping punches on the economy. All the way through the 80s and 90s they got away with blaming everything bad on labour govts of 20 or 30 years prior and they are trying to do the same now with no acknowledgement that they have been firmly at the wheel for about a decade and a half - clearly long enough to have made the ecenomic bed in which we all now lie.
By rights they shouldn't get near government for a generation, but you can already sense the pr campaign to repaint recent history is in overdrive

That's a fair point. We can both agree the country is in a right old mess.

We will disagree about how and why, with me attributing much of the blame to the state of the economy in 2010 necessitating reduction in government spending, and then some really bad macroeconomic impacts of Brexit, COVID and the war in Ukraine. And some added Tory cock ups thrown in for good measure.

But what's the answer? How do we get out of this hole? Labour's vision is for a larger, more interventionist (more expensive) state, with the belief that the state knows best, and the state can run things best. That growth will best come from the state taking more money off people, and spending it better than those they have taken it from can.

I fundamentally disagree with that. IMO sustainable long term growth, which is essential for the long term funding of our public services, can only come from a healthy and vibrant private sector, and that is enabled through a small state, low taxation and low regulation. A pro-business agenda. IMO the failing of the previous 14 years were that the Tories were not Tory enough. The levels of taxation have strangled our economy. We will not unstrangle it by putting taxes up and increasing regulation.
The ecno y was where it was in 2010 due to the GFC. when I asked you about this a few weeks ago, you chose not to acknowledge it had taken place. And the core reason for the GFC was low regulation especially in the finance sector.

As you well know and have previously admitted, the government spends first and then taxes. Any government can spend, spend, spend as long as it is not inflationary. The problem is the artificial rules it chooses to impose on itself. The tax intake will rarely cover all of the spending and so the last point is key.

The country being in a "right old mess" proves that previous policies, and in particular austerity, have not worked. The bankers screwed up so we lost our libraries or weekly bin collection. And yet you still advocate the party that inflicted that on the British people, not to mention the self inflicted harm caised by Brexit.

Liz Truss tried to be more Tory, indeed the Telegraph described her budget as the best one for generations-look how that finished up. And we are still feeling the effects of that.

I've spent far too long on this very pointless forum, so have decided to take a break for a few weeks.

It really is a supreme waste of time. There's a few people in here whose opinions are measured and who I respect, but too few. And the ones I don't respect, I will never change your minds anyway, not that I even care what you think. So what's the point.

Enjoy yourselves :-)

I've spent far too long on this very pointless forum, so have decided to take a break for a few weeks.

It really is a supreme waste of time. There's a few people in here whose opinions are measured and who I respect, but too few. And the ones I don't respect, I will never change your minds anyway, not that I even care what you think. So what's the point.

Will this break last longer than the one you started yesterday and was back within the hr :)

Don't go, we were just organising a lynching.x

1728291813415.png

well the previous 100 days before Labour won a landslide we had strikes in the NHS - staff in there droves leaving the sector, Junior Doctors and Train services all grinding to a halt - Labour have come in and sorted pay disputes and got the health and travel industry back on its feet - how has that been a complete cluster fuck? quite the opposite don't you think? or is it the Taylor Swift concert he went too which means he has destroyed the country?
Why do you keep rambling on about Train Drivers? They were on an average salary of £60k in 2022 and by next year they will be earning £69k. I used to transport small aircraft parts to Rolls Royce from a Manchester based company, The Hyde Group, their skilled engineers who had trained for several years were on no more than around £35k pa, compare and contrast. Train Drivers on nearly £70k, fair fucks to them but do they really deserve that level of remuneration.

Edit, BTW, earning £69k gives a train driver a net £49k which is four times more than a Pensioner gets if they can't claim credits and therefore miss out on the WFP, is that fair in your book? Try living in £14k in this day and age, Starmer is an absolute twat for taking this away.

Last edited:
Why do you keep rambling on about Train Drivers? They were on an average salary of £60k in 2022 and by next year they will be earning £69k. I used to transport small aircraft parts to Rolls Royce from a Manchester based company, The Hyde Group, their skilled engineers who had trained for several years were on no more than around £35k pa, compare and contrast. Train Drivers on nearly £70k, fair fucks to them but do they really deserve that level of remuneration.

because them on strike which had that been that way for many years under the Tories was causing major damage to the economy.

Again, while there have certainly been 'bumps in the road' I don't think the political disasters are particularly notable in comparison to the last decade. Still early days, I think we'll be able to judge more fully after a few years.
This is my take, Starmer has to realise he and the rest of the government have to be squeaky clean from now on. But the time to judge is ideally after a few years and certainly after a couple of budgets. The issue they have, is to grow the economy to enact the improvements that are needed. Reeves seems to realise this. Fingers crossed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.