The Labour Government

It would be helpful to see the evidence rather than them just saying it.

Yep all they need to do is point to the trial data etc. if they've modelled this and the associated costs and benefits correctly then I'm all for it.

Years ago I employed someone with significant mental health issues as part of their recovery. It wasn't a simple process to make it work and it came with multiple challenges; I'd expect that to be the reality in a significant number of cases.

If the data they are using reflects this fact (or shows that our situation was an outlier) and they haven't simply modelled a few folks rocking up in hospital wards with a ppt on how to write a CV then that's good. To do it properly will be a significant investment that will pay back in the mid-term, if that's what they're doing they should be applauded, and in which case explain the detail. Also be helpful if they can explain how you will engage with employers on this too because otherwise it'll die on its arse.

I may be missing something but what do those articles have to do with job coaches going around harassing people with poor mental health? I'd like to see the evidence of this trial that they've done.

Shame that we don't have a not for profit business that provided meaningful employment to the disabled and mentally ill ... with coaches and mentors to develop the individuals talents and skills

Oh wait .... we did .... it was called REMPLOY and shut down by the Tories.

Shame that we don't have a not for profit business that provided meaningful employment to the disabled and mentally ill ... with coaches and mentors to develop the individuals talents and skills

Oh wait .... we did .... it was called REMPLOY and shut down by the Tories.

Not strictly true, the REMPLOY owned factories were shut down thereby making thousands of disabled people redundant but the rest of the business was sold to an American company. Given at the time that we didn't seem to give a shit about flogging off even our strategic infrastructure to enrich foreign businesses, I can't imagine deciding to offload our disabled community took more than a few minutes to agree. The company in question is a US service provider called Maximus, in 2021 they got caught colluding with various US states to diddle severely disabled children out of their social security payments but I'm sure they're much better now eh?

Not strictly true, the REMPLOY owned factories were shut down thereby making thousands of disabled people redundant but the rest of the business was sold to an American company. Given at the time that we didn't seem to give a shit about flogging off even our strategic infrastructure to enrich foreign businesses, I can't imagine deciding to offload our disabled community took more than a few minutes to agree. The company in question is a US service provider called Maximus, in 2021 they got caught colluding with various US states to diddle severely disabled children out of their social security payments but I'm sure they're much better now eh?

So the usual Tory ''Due Diligence'' was applied eh?

That’s just not true. Single parent working full time with 3 kids will not have enough time to cook fresh in time for kid’s tea time.

It’ll be oven chips and pizzas etc. They’re knackered and have 3 hangry kids.
Or mass cook at a weekend and freeze decent meals, doesn’t take long to make a pot of spaghetti bol or chilli, stick some frozen chips on the side from an air fryer 10 mins job done.

Some people are just too lazy to do either I'm affraid and the numbers are rising. Hence the huge rise in fast food places. You also only have to look at the baking stuff in supermarkets, the amount and selection is tiny compared with 30 years ago. Then look at the ready meals and crisp sections which are now enormous. More people are just lazy these days.
Fast food isn’t cheap anymore though, even McDs is declining because they charge too much and have you been to a chippy lately. I agree £1 frozen pizza etc is too easy, it’s not hard to make a block of meals at a weekend, there are 24 hours in a day, in 2 hours I could knock up enough meals for a week than can be frozen and defrosted when needed and a fraction of the cost of taking 3 kids to McDs for one meal.

Not strictly true, the Labour government started the process by shutting down a third of Remploy factories in 2008.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.