The Labour Government

Isn't it fairly immaterial as to whether it's 26% or 35%? They're clearly well down, and want it significantly closer to what it might be. They have to make a starting pitch somewhere, and have done. Fixating on the % claim is pointless.

I don't believe for one second that they expect to get a one-step 26% increase. What they will be looking for is a multi-year increase to bring it more in line.
Absolutely mate I agree, I think the fact the tories just wouldn’t talk showed how much they truly value thed them, no wonder there’s a shortage in the nhs if your employer doesn’t value you,you go elsewhere. Hopefully Labour can sort the shit show out.

Absolutely mate I agree, I think the fact the tories just wouldn’t talk showed how much they truly value thed them, no wonder there’s a shortage in the nhs if your employer doesn’t value you,you go elsewhere. Hopefully Labour can sort the shit show out.

It's certainly easy to draw a dotted line from running down NHS to encouraging private healthcare. Perception of how far it went that way is going to depend on the individual. Some will think it was significantly the plan.

I don't think anyone thinks that Barclay (and whoever else has been Health secretaries) were not engaging properly.

I don't especially like Streeting (too much gobby barrowboy!) and private facilities are already embedded to some degree, but like you I hope they have planned for what they will do.

Was this Streeting, Smyth or Kinnock then?

I think he's paraphrasing- and that's a generous interpretation.

If you want an alternate 'paraphrasing', I assume he's referring to Streeting saying that lack of investment, and the failures in the NHS, is costing the country money.

If people can't work because they're ill, waiting for an operation, or can't get support with their mental health, then that's not good for them, and not good for the country as a whole. Getting the NHS working, and improving the nation's health, will mean more people are able to work.

I think he's paraphrasing- and that's a generous interpretation.

If you want an alternate 'paraphrasing', I assume he's referring to Streeting saying that lack of investment, and the failures in the NHS, is costing the country money.

If people can't work because they're ill, waiting for an operation, or can't get support with their mental health, then that's not good for them, and not good for the country as a whole. Getting the NHS working, and improving the nation's health, will mean more people are able to work.

Ok thanks, that's quite a different interpretation from WW's ! Nothing particularly controversial in that albeit recognising and fixing a problem are two very different things.

Have got used to pretty much everything everyone says being reported instantly during the election campaign but I assume we're heading back to some sort of normality in the news cycle now.

Last edited:
The change to CPI was done in 2010 in response to austerity, mainly to save on public sector pensions funny that, yet RPI is still used in private sector defined pensions. Their argument may well be if it had stayed at RPI they are 26% better worse off. Mortgage rates have only increased in the last few years, Christ they were virtually zero for 10-12 years, in real terms they are 26% down, so basically whatever you were getting in 2008 by last year your money wouldn’t go as far, like I said I was in real terms £4k worse off all to pay those private sector wanker bankers mistakes.
RPI is certainly not used for pay awards in the private sector, everything is referenced to CPI and what the market can tolerate, based upon an acceptable level of staff turnover and shareholder expectations.

There are a small subset of private sector pensions that are linked to RPI as there are virtually no private sector companies that offer final salary pensions. The vast majority, certainly those since the early 2000s where the last few companies were offering final salary schemes, are all capped at the lesser of RPI or 2.5%, there are a number of much older pensions with limited price indexation to a maximum of 5%.

Mortgage rates for RPI are only part of the list, its a very home owner focussed "basket of goods" they use by comparison to CPI all of which have increased above other goods and services.

As I said I have no issue with junior doctors or anyone for that matter getting decent pay rises but it needs to be tempered with realism.

If you were someone on minimum wage or just above, seeing a junior doctor 5 years out of Uni on 65k demanding a 35% pay rise its a bit galling. Across most sectors peoples pay has stagnated, many companies have had a policy of those earning higher wages getting much smaller pay increases which are well below the cost of living and trying to give a bit more to those on lower salaries who are disproportionately affected due to their lower levels of disposable income.

RPI is certainly not used for pay awards in the private sector, everything is referenced to CPI and what the market can tolerate, based upon an acceptable level of staff turnover and shareholder expectations.

There are a small subset of private sector pensions that are linked to RPI as there are virtually no private sector companies that offer final salary pensions. The vast majority, certainly those since the early 2000s where the last few companies were offering final salary schemes, are all capped at the lesser of RPI or 2.5%, there are a number of much older pensions with limited price indexation to a maximum of 5%.

Mortgage rates for RPI are only part of the list, its a very home owner focussed "basket of goods" they use by comparison to CPI all of which have increased above other goods and services.

As I said I have no issue with junior doctors or anyone for that matter getting decent pay rises but it needs to be tempered with realism.

If you were someone on minimum wage or just above, seeing a junior doctor 5 years out of Uni on 65k demanding a 35% pay rise its a bit galling. Across most sectors peoples pay has stagnated, many companies have had a policy of those earning higher wages getting much smaller pay increases which are well below the cost of living and trying to give a bit more to those on lower salaries who are disproportionately affected due to their lower levels of disposable income.
Whilst I agree with what you say, it needs to be recognised that many newly qualified doctors emigrate to Australia or Canada due to higher pay and better working conditions, and any pay rise needs to address this retention issue. Although I haven’t seen any stats on this, all three of my children knew several medics at uni and many have emigrated within a year or two of qualifying.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.