The Labour Government

Never known the exact details of the negotiations. I would expect 35% may have been the starting point rather than minimum. Does anyone know if it was 35% with immediate effect or something like 6-7% over five years?

There are other options available to the Govt but the Tories probably never explored these as they adopted a childish approach to negotiations.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67876164

They actually had a 2% pay rise in 22/23 and 8.8% in 23/24 but appear to want another 35% to correct for lower than average pay growth.

Where does all the train fare money go?

They go up every year but the service gets worse and the trains become less and less frequent. It’s cheaper to get flights abroad than it is to travel within our own country now.

I can get a week in Turkey, 5 star hotel , all inclusive (with drinks) Flights and transfers for less than a day return Manchester to London.

Think they wanted it straight away, basically last year they were 26% behind were they should’ve been due to austerity and then when inflation skyrocketed they wanted the extra 9% of that.
Just curious, but which hourly wage jobs HAVE kept pace with inflation over the past 20-30 years? How about 50 yrs?

Just curious, but which hourly wage jobs HAVE kept pace with inflation over the past 20-30 years? How about 50 yrs?
It’s mainly the 26% they lost due to austerity, most people got a decent pay rise last year, fire service got 7% in 2022 plus a further 5% last year. Yet from 2008 until 2019 absolute nothing. I was around £4-5k worse off.

It’s mainly the 26% they lost due to austerity, most people got a decent pay rise last year, fire service got 7% in 2022 plus a further 5% last year. Yet from 2008 until 2019 absolute nothing. I was around £4-5k worse off.
Not really true that they got absolutely nothing (see attached table below).

Interestingly it also misses off last year and this year which were 2% and 8.8%.

The argument seems to be that their wage is not keeping up with RPI but virtually every private sector employee and their pension funds only use CPI. RPI is significantly higher as mortgage payments increased due to interest rates increasing, CPI does not take this into account.

Thats not to say they dont deserve more, particularly those early in their career, but wanting 35% on top does seem excessive relative to the rest of the population. You could argue that everyone deserves a big leg up but its just not feasible.

Attachments

• 1000005764.png
    1000005764.png
    439.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Interestingly it also misses off last year and this year which were 2% and 8.8%.

The argument seems to be that their wage is not keeping up with RPI but virtually every private sector employee and their pension funds only use CPI. RPI is significantly higher as mortgage payments increased due to interest rates increasing, CPI does not take this into account.

Thats not to say they dont deserve more, particularly those early in their career, but wanting 35% on top does seem excessive relative to the rest of the population. You could argue that everyone deserves a big leg up but its just not feasible.
It really would be very poor if they go on strike on the basis of wanting their wages uplifted by RPI rather than CPI.

The change to CPI was done in 2010 in response to austerity, mainly to save on public sector pensions funny that, yet RPI is still used in private sector defined pensions. Their argument may well be if it had stayed at RPI they are 26% better worse off. Mortgage rates have only increased in the last few years, Christ they were virtually zero for 10-12 years, in real terms they are 26% down, so basically whatever you were getting in 2008 by last year your money wouldn’t go as far, like I said I was in real terms £4k worse off all to pay those private sector wanker bankers mistakes.

The change to CPI was done in 2010 in response to austerity, mainly to save on public sector pensions funny that, yet RPI is still used in private sector defined pensions. Their argument may well be if it had stayed at RPI they are 26% better worse off. Mortgage rates have only increased in the last few years, Christ they were virtually zero for 10-12 years, in real terms they are 26% down, so basically whatever you were getting in 2008 by last year your money wouldn’t go as far, like I said I was in real terms £4k worse off all to pay those private sector wanker bankers mistakes.

Isn't it fairly immaterial as to whether it's 26% or 35%? They're clearly well down, and want it significantly closer to what it might be. They have to make a starting pitch somewhere, and have done. Fixating on the % claim is pointless.

I don't believe for one second that they expect to get a one-step 26% increase. What they will be looking for is a multi-year increase to bring it more in line.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.