The Labour Party

Owen Jones is a journalist and talking head, yet he is the adult in the room in that clip.

Whilst he may have styled himself as an activist he isn't, it is how he pays his bills.

This isn't infighting as much it is an idiot with an ego giving a car crash interview when she could have just walked past him instead of giving in to the urge for bantz, and coming across as the plonker she is.
I disagree.

I think the problem lays somewhere between drinking cheap wine coolers and smoking crack in your lunch break.

Jess Philips is absolutely batshit.
I'm not a huge fan of hers - she was found out pretty quickly in the leadership elections - but she's someone who is popular with a lot of people I know who aren't hugely political.

Even so, Owen Jones isn't being genuine with his questions. He's looking for click bait responses, and you can see from his body language that he's not interested in finding out about Jess Phillips's views, he's decided what his view is of her before he starts and is mocking when she disagrees - not a good luck when he later shows that he doesn't actually know much about her.

That stuff about tax for people earning £80k is just weird. He says "where to start" when asked about what makes her right wing, yet can't actually name a policy that she's supported, or anything she's said. Instead he asks her to declare her support for specific tax rates that aren't Labour policy - something he knows no shadow minister would agree to. If he's so sure she's on the right of the party, and he's setting himself up as an expert, then he should know where to start, and be asking her to justify things she's said. What he's doing is not journalism, it's about the level of an amateur comedian on tiktok.

I'm not a huge fan of hers - she was found out pretty quickly in the leadership elections - but she's someone who is popular with a lot of people I know who aren't hugely political.

Even so, Owen Jones isn't being genuine with his questions. He's looking for click bait responses, and you can see from his body language that he's not interested in finding out about Jess Phillips's views, he's decided what his view is of her before he starts and is mocking when she disagrees - not a good luck when he later shows that he doesn't actually know much about her.

That stuff about tax for people earning £80k is just weird. He says "where to start" when asked about what makes her right wing, yet can't actually name a policy that she's supported, or anything she's said. Instead he asks her to declare her support for specific tax rates that aren't Labour policy - something he knows no shadow minister would agree to. If he's so sure she's on the right of the party, and he's setting himself up as an expert, then he should know where to start, and be asking her to justify things she's said. What he's doing is not journalism, it's about the level of an amateur comedian on tiktok.

It’s not a sit down interview, it isn't political thinking with Nick Robinson.

Owen and the like make money by appealing to what people already want to hear and getting patreon members and superchats on YouTube.

Jess was not the (preplanned) target of his interview, she just happened to walk past him in the hall.

If you are going to complain about being asked something you don't know anything about, don't answer the question or just answer a different question, or walk away.

As I said, she couldn't resist the bantz, and was baited like the second Roman emporer wandering past a pig sty.

Owen and the like make money by appealing to what people already want to hear and getting patreon members and superchats on YouTube.

Jess was not the (preplanned) target of his interview, she just happened to walk past him in the hall.

If you are going to complain about being asked something you don't know anything about, don't answer the question or just answer a different question, or walk away.

As I said, she couldn't resist the bantz, and was baited like the second Roman emporer wandering past a pig sty.
He presents himself as a serious journalist, and mocked her when she said she wasn't on the right of the party.

Given that's clearly an insult from his point of view, I'd say he has a responsibility to know what he's talking about before asking a question.

33 point lead for Labour with YouGov!

Their polls have been a bit erratic recently, and this may well be a big outlier, but holy fuck.

She can't resist a microphone and a bit of self promotion. Like you I'd imagine the majority of MP's would have either given him a wide berth or straight batted him with banality rather clowning around. There is a reason he used that clip to promote the full video.

He presents himself as a serious journalist, and mocked her when she said she wasn't on the right of the party.

Given that's clearly an insult from his point of view, I'd say he has a responsibility to know what he's talking about before asking a question.

She was nominated and seconded by right wing Labour MPs.

It’s unclear where she actually stands because she is a poor communicator, particularly because she doesn't realise the sound of her own voice and talks too loudly. From general experience of watching her, not this clip.

She wasn't serious for his questions anyway.

Isn't the problem here that she presents herself as a serious politician?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.