The Labour Party

Interesting article in the FT today about Rachel Reeves’ new book, ‘The women who made modern economics’, where she argues that many female economists have been the victims of shameless plagiarism and received insufficient credit from their more famous male colleagues.

Interesting in that Reeves herself appears to have conducted large scale plagiarism when writing the book, lifting sections wholesale from Wikipedia, a variety of newspapers and even her own (male) party colleagues.

Maybe this is her own version of levelling up?

I think we can rest easy in the knowledge that no one is going to read a book by Rachel Reeves on women economists. As for her contention that women receive less credit, that has been the case for decades in any number of scientific and academic fields.

I think we can rest easy in the knowledge that no one is going to read a book by Rachel Reeves on women economists. As for her contention that women receive less credit, that has been the case for decades in any number of scientific and academic fields.
The level of readership is completely irrelevant to whether she plagiarised or not, which she clearly has. I’m afraid she’s not going to receive much credit for that, and rightly so.

She’s displayed a fundamental lack of integrity and intelligence -she is using other people’s work for her own gain, without proper acknowledgement or permission, ironically in a book covering the issue of plagiarism. Frankly idiotic behaviour.

Reactions: PPT
The level of readership is completely irrelevant to whether she plagiarised or not, which she clearly has. I’m afraid she’s not going to receive much credit for that, and rightly so.

She’s displayed a fundamental lack of integrity and intelligence -she is using other people’s work for her own gain, without proper acknowledgement or permission, ironically in a book covering the issue of plagiarism. Frankly idiotic behaviour.
I do wonder why politician's churn out these vanity books. Clearly, in most cases they're never read by anyone - it's almost like they feel they just have to tick a box.

The wikipedia thing is funny. I get lots of manuscripts in digital form, and people don't realise that if they copy and paste stuff from the internet, it often has hidden links/metadata that you doesn't show up on the surface. I've asked people whether they used Wikipedia etc., in the past, and usually they tell me they looked lots of places, and it's all their own research :)

I doubt she plagiarised it - largely on the grounds I seriously doubt if she wrote the fucking thing. A couple of aides were given the task of putting it together and used Wiki as their source. It made the points she wanted to make and she stuck her name on it.

The things we do in the name of vanity.

I doubt she plagiarised it - largely on the grounds I seriously doubt if she wrote the fucking thing. A couple of aides were given the task of putting it together and used Wiki as their source. It made the points she wanted to make and she stuck her name on it.

Agree. I assume its fairly common for publishers to set these things up. What I suspect has gone wrong is that they have asked a few people to provide various sections and each has included some heavy copy paste text. It's gone in un edited and without anyone doing any checks to see how much is already on line or inprint.

At least she didn’t miss lots of COBRA meetings in the run up to a pandemic not writing it.

As a person who makes his living writing things for more important people to stick their name on… this is exactly what will have happened.

This is what he said to get him suspended.

F9tMGfVWwAAqHFz

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.