The Labour Party

Martin Forde, who led a review into allegations of bullying and racism in the Labour Party, said the handling of the case had been "pretty shambolic" and it would have been "sensible" to withdraw support for Mr Ali when his comments first emerged.

The senior lawyer told BBC Radio 4's Today programme there was a perception among some left-leaning MPs "that when it comes to disciplinary action taken against them then things move rather slowly, but if you're in the right faction of the party, as it were, then things are dealt with either more leniently or more swiftly".

Post election Labour is going in to civil war. Starmer is going to need that whopping big majority.

Can’t work out who gives Starmer the most stick on here - those who are still planning to vote Tory or the Corbynites.

It would appear that most of us between those extremes think he’s doing a reasonable job whether they’re left or right of centre.

All political parties are coalitions, and that is why they have nappers in them. You only have to look at Christopher Chope for the Tories. In our (very) diverse society, it's almost inevitable. You exercise party discipline, but there is always someone who says stuff you don't want them to say.

Conspiracy theories? They abound in our world and people from all parts of the political spectrum believe in them. It's just that some seem to be 'acceptable.' People get taken in with them all the time. They are 99% complete bollocks, and this particular one is 100%.

The Labour Party has not covered itself in glory here. No one is saying they have. But don't kid yourself that a lot of people, not just Muslims, are, at a minimum, 'concerned' about what is going on in Gaza. Some are fucking angry. Some hate Jews. Most don't. Lumping everyone who has concerns about Gaza together as some sort of antisemitic Nazi is a very dangerous tactic. Not least because some of those with concerns are Jews themselves. This outburst, ridiculous and offensive as it may be, is but a symptom of that underlying concern. Which, I have to say, the top politicians are not addressing at all.

I think the issue was he firstly banged on some conspiracy theory - not my cup of tea but fair enough and you can see why they’d let that slide a little. It’s the newer alleged “Jewish media” claims in support of Andy McDonald that comes across a bit more antisemitic even if that wasn’t the intent and I’ve no particular reason to think it was or he is.

But Starmer promised to rid Labour of it and any whiff is going to have predictable outcomes.

I think the issue was he firstly banged on some conspiracy theory - not my cup of tea but fair enough and you can see why they’d let that slide a little. It’s the newer alleged “Jewish media” claims in support of Andy McDonald that comes across a bit more antisemitic even if that wasn’t the intent and I’ve no particular reason to think it was or he is.

But Starmer promised to rid Labour of it and any whiff is going to have predictable outcomes.

Yes, and I think Starmer has done what he had to do, and is right.

But there's a big elephant in the room that isn't going away any time soon. And dealing with it is not going to be easy, in a political sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.