The Lords Prayer advert now banned in cinemas.

I am relying only on the published code I posted a link to. It seems to state quite clearly that Sections 3 & 7 of the Act relate to the provision of services by private companies for profit. It is not confined to employment and housing.
Counting church attendees is not relevant either to the adherence to Christianity in the UK or what constitutes the greater good. The legislation protects freedom of expression whether of religion or other organised belief systems from direct or and indirect discrimination. This practice is to my mind clearly discriminatory and there is no good reason for it.

It's not discriminatory if it pertains to all religions. They're not providing a service either they're selling a product.

They are providing a service by providing a market for the sale of goods and as I said earlier the discrimination is against all religion/belief protected by the Act, no comparator is required.

But they're not discriminating against a belief. You don't seem to understand that. Look up the definition of discrimination in a dictionary.

1The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex:victims of racial discriminationdiscrimination againsthomosexuals

According to the BBC report when the CoE discussed the ad with DCM in June there was no issue about a conflict with their policies.
I had heard this also, but not seen any verification of this.

DCM's website now carries their advertising policy, but from what I can see from internet archives, the policy was not displayed previously. This suggests to me a hastily rewritten policy, and very underhand tactics from DCM. The CoE's surprise and bewilderment is understandable in these circumstances.

But they're not discriminating against a belief. You don't seem to understand that. Look up the definition of discrimination in a dictionary.

1The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex:victims of racial discriminationdiscrimination https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...hment_data/file/85027/vcs-religion-belief.pdf
They are discriminating against individuals who are defined as holding those beliefs as a class by virtue of that belief. A single representative of that class would be the victim of the discrimination. It's not necessary to show that they behaved differently with individuals from different religions/belief groups.

Last edited:
They are discriminating against individuals who are defined as holding those beliefs as a class by virtue of that belief. A single representative of that class would be the victim of the discrimination.

No, you're taking it to extremes. Are COE members discriminated against because DCM have a policy not to show any religious advertising?

I am relying only on the published code I posted a link to. It seems to state quite clearly that Sections 3 & 7 of the Act relate to the provision of services by private companies for profit. It is not confined to employment and housing.
Counting church attendees is not relevant either to the adherence to Christianity in the UK or what constitutes the greater good. The legislation protects freedom of expression whether of religion or other organised belief systems from direct or and indirect discrimination. This practice is to my mind clearly discriminatory and there is no good reason for it.

There are a couple of big elephants in the room:

1. The Act specifically deals with discrimination against the public. The CoE may not be a legal entity per se - although there are plenty of legal entities associated with it - but it is NOT "the public" in any legal sense of the word.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/equality-act-2010-guidance
"The Equality Act 2010 legally protects people from discrimination in the workplace and in wider society."

2. The definition of "religion" (as given in the act itself, and also in the Code you linked to) is:

(1)Religion means any religion and a reference to religion includes a reference to a lack of religion.

(2)Belief means any religious or philosophical belief and a reference to belief includes a reference to a lack of belief.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/10

Seems to me that even if the Act was to be interpreted as applying to a body such as the CoE as well as individuals - which I don't believe it can or will be - or amended to include bodies, companies, corporations etc then the CoE might not like the end result if it meant that the British Humanist Association or the National Secular Society would also have to be allowed to advertise.

In any case, I agree with the previous posters who said that refusing ALL religious advertisements as a matter of policy is not discrimination.

No, you're taking it to extremes. Are COE members discriminated against because DCM have a policy not to show any religious advertising?

No.

Why do CoE members need to see advertisements for something they already do? The whole point of this proposed advert is to proselytise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.