The Lords Prayer advert now banned in cinemas.

I'll take your word for it that Midgley stated what you claimed earlier. However the thing with philosophy - as fascinating and thought-provoking as it can be - is that no school of philosophical thought, nor even a strand within that school of thought - is universally accepted as true.

I'll stick to science and facts.
In order to understand scientific fact you should maybe try reading some history and philosophy of science then.

With the description of the universe as being contained within the measurable is simply wrong. They 'laws' are simply working scientific hypotheses which may change as more evidence becomes avaiable. Similarly, the philosophical idea of infinity is clearly much richer than the mathematical concept.

And yet it's defined by being accountable to the laws of physics. Whether philosophical or mathematical an infinite concept cannot be defined, if it could be defined it could be held within borders (ie finite). As for your last sentence you clearly underestimate the scope of mathematics, the one truly universal frame of reference, 'God's language' as some call it.

I thought this thread had run its course yesterday. For what it's worth, I think the advertising company DCM is within its rights to set its own policy and implement it in a consistent manner. They didn't exactly go about this in a good way though, leading the CofE to believe they would accept the advert, then declining it at the last minute. They could face legal action over this.

Meanwhile, the CofE ended up with far more publicity than they might have received through the advert alone.

Why people are so upset or offended by the advert is harder to understand. We all see adverts every day, that don't apply to us. Most people just ignore them.

And then as ever on Bluemoon, the debate descends into insults and abusiveness - with the Christians in the minority being ridiculed. Why? Because they hold a minority opinion.

Religion is blamed for all manner of evil in the world, yet some of our own Bluemoon members show very high levels of intolerance towards those with different views.

We all have at least one thing in common - an interest in Manchester City. Apart from this, we all have different life experiences, interests, political views, jobs, habits, nationalities, hobbies, tastes, skills, morals, ideals, educations, and yes, religious views. Is it not asking too much to treat others with a little respect?

As for labelling all religious people as weak minded 'God botherers', this in itself is ill-considered. You don't have to look very far to find many intellectuals who had or have strong religious beliefs. These people can't be summarily dismissed as crackpots just like that. If you hold the opinion that religious people don't think seriously about their faith, listen to a debate between Richard Dawkins and John Lennox, then come back and tell me if either of them holds unconsidered views.

I'm not intending to preach at anyone here, because as mentioned, I don't think this forum is the place for that particular debate. And I would like to add that I have great respect for the knowledge and learning of some of my fellow City fans on here.

Last edited:

I'm not intending to preach at anyone here, because as mentioned, I don't think this forum is the place for that particular debate. And I would like to add that I have great respect for the knowledge and learning of some of my fellow City fans on here.

Don't quote one poster in particular then :) Mate I'm quite happy to leave people to their faith. John Lennox is somebody I have great respect for. He's also happy to admit that his faith is exactly that, a blind leap. It's the peddling of hundreds of year old theories as cold hard fact that I'm not willing to let go and it's not the first occasion either.

It seems even aethiesm has to be extreme and devout nowadays.

Must admit as an agnostic I am not arrogant enough to be able to decisively announce any religion as 100% wrong and I am certainly not able to either say 100% that science is right or wrong.

I think science has a basis of proof and is evolving more than most religions. But then I look at religion and religious texts as purely stories put down at a time when fact was told through story and through analogous tales. Texts written then we're not supposed to ever be literal and were political works of their day that would had they been kept part of a storytelling society would have evolved and changed with each generation. Instead (and the same thing is true of many countries constitutions) we moved into a world where the evolution stopped where word became fixed fact and stopped changing.

Do i want to be subjected to a 6th century interpretation of something that never evolved when I go to watch a Bond film? No

Don't quote one poster in particular then :) Mate I'm quite happy to leave people to their faith. John Lennox is somebody I have great respect for. He's also happy to admit that his faith is exactly that, a blind leap. It's the peddling of hundreds of year old theories as cold hard fact that I'm not willing to let go and it's not the first occasion either.
Point taken.

To be fair religious friends of mine should not have to be subjected to a Gervais/Dawkins advert either!

To be fair religious friends of mine should not have to be subjected to a Gervais/Dawkins advert either!

Add the PPI vultures/ambulance chasers to that list too, nobody should have to listen to that shite.

" Have you suffered an injury in work? Has nobody made you aware that you could be entitled to financial compensation? If so, slap your family and friends and sue the education system for drastically failing you, you utter gobshite".

With respect your description of the universe as being contained within the measurable is simply wrong. The 'laws' are simply working scientific hypotheses which may change as more evidence becomes available. Similarly, the philosophical idea of infinity is clearly much richer than the mathematical concept.

"the philosophical idea of infinity is clearly much richer than the mathematical concept"

Ah! Richer in the sense that you can duck and dive in its immeasurble unfathomableness, to post pompous sermons of increasingly spurious reductio ad absurdum.

In order to understand scientific fact you should maybe try reading some history and philosophy of science then.

Are you always this condescending to people who disagree with you?

Faith - by its very definition - requires no evidence, no proof. It's a perfect subject for philosophy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.