The Lords Prayer advert now banned in cinemas.

We accept some secondary historical documents as there is nothing more concrete to contradict them George. When there is something far more concrete that suggests they're a load of shite, we dismiss them as unreliable. If the bible is the primary source for Jesus' life, then it's a pretty poor one. The bible, New or Old Testament, is a political and religious document, not a historical one. You'll be telling us Moses could control water with his mind next and there's historical evidence for it (despite there being no evidence of (i) Moses ever existing (ii) the Jews being put into slavery in Egypt (iii) the Jews ever being in Egypt.)
Having lost the argument you lose the plot completely and move to excremental and the absurd. I'm not telling you anything except the truth. The NT is a political and religious and historical document. It is a primary source for the historicity of Jesus irrespective of your prejudices.

Having lost the argument you lose the plot completely and move to excremental and the absurd. I'm not telling you anything except the truth. The NT is a political and religious and historical document. It is a primary source for the historicity of Jesus irrespective of your prejudices.

It's not a historical document. It has virtually no corresponding or correlating documents to back it up. It's primarily a political document and secondly a religious one. I don't know why you're accusing me of losing the plot when all you've done in your last few posts is repeat yourself and not answer a single point I've made.

This is getting embarrassing. Of course there is controversy, that's the nature of academic debate and there are plenty of bits that don't fit the chronology etc. You can dredge up inconsistencies and contradictions in any historical investigation and of course the traditions are preserved for a particular purpose. Are you after a first century Newsnight Special or Chilcott Enquiry to provide a reliable source?

what is embarrassing is immaculate conception, feeding of the 5000, lazarus,water into wine,walking on water

It's not a historical document. It has virtually no corresponding or correlating documents to back it up. It's primarily a political document and secondly a religious one. I don't know why you're accusing me of losing the plot when all you've done in your last few posts is repeat yourself and not answer a single point I've made.
I repeat myself simply because you are making the same erroneous claim and you've just done it again. The NT is obviously an historical document and contains primary sources for the life of Jesus. You are simply wrong to assert it isn't and wholly incorrect in saying it has virtually no corresponding or correlating documents to back it up. It has many and if it didn't have any that would not invalidate it as a primary source. Your understanding of what constitutes primary and secondary historical sources is just ignorant or deliberately perverse. What are these coherent points you have made which I have omitted to address? You want me to prove Moses existed, account for his parting the sea, certify where the Jews were at various ancient times, show if the various NT miracle stories actually happened and if they did explain them in terms of in natural processes as currently understood?
I'm off to the game now so you'll maybe have to wait a while for me to come up with the goods (if I can get my halftime coffee early enough of course.)

Last edited:
I repeat myself simply because you are making the same erroneous claim and you've just done it again. The NT is obviously an historical document and contains primary sources for the life of Jesus. You are simply wrong to assert it isn't and wholly incorrect in saying it has virtually no corresponding or correlating documents to back it up. It has many and if it didn't have any that would not invalidate it as a primary source. Your understanding of what constitutes primary and secondary historical sources is just ignorant or deliberately perverse. What are these coherent points have you made which I have omitted to address? You want me to prove Moses existed, account for his parting the sea, certify where the Jews were at various ancient times, show if the various NT miracle stories actually happened and if they did explain them in terms of in natural processes as currently understood?
I'm off to the game now so you'll maybe have to wait a while for me to come up with the goods.

A primary source is one written by someone who witnessed the events bud, most of the gospels were written by people born after the death of Jesus. It's not a primary source.

The NT was compiled quite a few years after the events took place and the accounts were hand me downs.

Point me in the direction, maybe an historians book or web page, where it shows the NT stories as actual historical documents.

The ones who witnessed the events were illiterate, impossible for them to provide a written account.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus

If they couldn't provide a written account then the only method open to them must surely have been a verbal account. That means that, when the Bible was written a few hundred years later, the accounts of the witnesses will have been passed on, verbally, from one generation to the next. That surely can't make the version that was eventually documented in the bible all that accurate? Memories fade, tales are embellished, "Chinese whispers" give rise to changes in the events, history is open to both accidental, and intentional, doctoring. If a great deal of what was documented in the bible had previously been passed verbally from person to person to person to person to person and so on then there is certain to have been inaccuracies which have found their way in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.