The Mancini appointment over 2 years on...

nevilletogoater-in said:
Bojinov The Bull said:
Mike D said:
Have to disagree slightly there had Hughes been sacked at the end of his 1st season and Macini been brought in then to start with his own players, that would have been a masterstroke. There are very very few City fans who disagree with that Hughes was out of his depth and did not deserve the time he got.

I think you are using hindsight massively there, Hughes brought in some excellent players, De Jong, Kompany, Lescott, Tevez, Bellamy, Zabaleta to name but a few in his first season, so you dont think he deserved a shot at actually going for the top 4 in his second season? Hughes had a massive say in where we are now and in general spent the money well aside from RSC to have just got him in, let him buy a lot of good players then sack him to let another manager come in would never have been done which is why you aren't running the club.

They gave him a fair shot, they realised he wasnt going to make it happen so they sacked him just in time to let another manager come in and sort it out, they did it well in my opinion aside from how they actually handled the Hughes sacking.

Whilst I agree to an extent I think if you look at the money Hughes spent compared with what Mancini has spent I think Hughes showed a lot of naivity in the transfer market.

Lescott for £24m, Jo for £19m, RSC for £19m plus then you throw Robinho into the mix too.

However he did bring in some gems too like Bellemy, De Jong, Vinny & Zab but overall he failed to get the best out of them otherwise he would have still been in a job.

Personally I wanted Hughes sacked after the Forest game in the cup and was relieved that he went when he did. Mancini so far has performed far better than my expectations but still it could be better.

The deal to sign Jô was agreed during Sven's time in charge and Robinho was a sign of our new owner's intent to show the world that he meant business. The story that has always done the rounds on Bluemoon was that Hughes was on a golf course when Robinho was signed.

I agree RSC was a complete disaster, but to put Joleon Lescott in that category also is simply laughable. He has been one of our best players over the last 12 months.<br /><br />-- 19 Feb 2012, 21:31 --<br /><br />
disley blue boy said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
I said this at the time, people pointed to our track record of not winning anything in 30 plus years and said it was because we kept firing managers. The thing is since Book(the last one to win anything)and Mancini NONE of the managers we fired won ANYTHING after being fired. Indeed I'm not sure what the odds of that happening are, but our firing record was nothing short of amazing! Not that that is great, because that shows we hired some really crap managers!!!!
ron saunders did ok at villa

Ron Saunders was manager of Manchester City before Tony Book!

DTeacher said:
122.gif

beer2.gif

Vienna_70 said:
nevilletogoater-in said:
Bojinov The Bull said:
I think you are using hindsight massively there, Hughes brought in some excellent players, De Jong, Kompany, Lescott, Tevez, Bellamy, Zabaleta to name but a few in his first season, so you dont think he deserved a shot at actually going for the top 4 in his second season? Hughes had a massive say in where we are now and in general spent the money well aside from RSC to have just got him in, let him buy a lot of good players then sack him to let another manager come in would never have been done which is why you aren't running the club.

They gave him a fair shot, they realised he wasnt going to make it happen so they sacked him just in time to let another manager come in and sort it out, they did it well in my opinion aside from how they actually handled the Hughes sacking.

Whilst I agree to an extent I think if you look at the money Hughes spent compared with what Mancini has spent I think Hughes showed a lot of naivity in the transfer market.

Lescott for £24m, Jo for £19m, RSC for £19m plus then you throw Robinho into the mix too.

However he did bring in some gems too like Bellemy, De Jong, Vinny & Zab but overall he failed to get the best out of them otherwise he would have still been in a job.

Personally I wanted Hughes sacked after the Forest game in the cup and was relieved that he went when he did. Mancini so far has performed far better than my expectations but still it could be better.

The deal to sign Jô was agreed during Sven's time in charge and Robinho was a sign of our new owner's intent to show the world that he meant business. The story that has always done the rounds on Bluemoon was that Hughes was on a golf course when Robinho was signed.

I agree RSC was a complete disaster, but to put Joleon Lescott in that category also is simply laughable. He has been one of our best players over the last 12 months.

-- 19 Feb 2012, 21:31 --

disley blue boy said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
I said this at the time, people pointed to our track record of not winning anything in 30 plus years and said it was because we kept firing managers. The thing is since Book(the last one to win anything)and Mancini NONE of the managers we fired won ANYTHING after being fired. Indeed I'm not sure what the odds of that happening are, but our firing record was nothing short of amazing! Not that that is great, because that shows we hired some really crap managers!!!!

Ron Saunders was treated disgracefully, a good manager who was brought in to change things, then ousted with one of the most dispicable meetings behind his back.

jaigurugoat said:
Timperleyblue said:
iwastherein81 said:
when sven left and we were looking for a manager i touted the name mancini on herei have to be honest and didnt think it would be a first choice name and i was right
almost every person on here that replied said "no not for me" or similar
i am not saying i told you so or i was right all along
mancini is not what i was expecting
and certainly has done better than many expected
a lot of which is down to the new and very prof manner in which city seem to be run nowadays
i am still not totally vonvinced by him but fair play he has delivered a cup and maybe just maybe more to come

managers come and go as do players but i will be a city fan always
ctid

Maybe you used a different user name in the past but you're joining date would suggest you weren't here when Sven was sacked

What? Sven was sacked in June 2008 after tour of Thailand! Timperley Blue joined in April 2008.

Thanks for trying out.

mancunial said:
Vienna_70 said:
nevilletogoater-in said:

I agree RSC was a complete disaster, but to put Joleon Lescott in that category also is simply laughable. He has been one of our best players over the last 12 months.

disley blue boy said:

Ron Saunders was treated disgracefully, a good manager who was brought in to change things, then ousted with one of the most dispicable meetings behind his back.

I wasn't casting judgement on Saunders one way or the other. I was merely pointing out to that RS was pre-Book, not one of the managers who won nothing after they were fired by City.<br /><br />-- 19 Feb 2012, 21:59 --<br /><br />
Vienna_70 said:
mancunial said:
Vienna_70 said:

I wasn't casting judgement on Saunders one way or the other. I was merely pointing out to that RS was pre-Book, not one of the managers who won nothing after they were fired by City.

However, you have to question someone who humiliates club legends like Lee, Bell and Summerbee by making them act as ballboys during training sessions.

jaigurugoat said:
Timperleyblue said:
iwastherein81 said:
when sven left and we were looking for a manager i touted the name mancini on herei have to be honest and didnt think it would be a first choice name and i was right
almost every person on here that replied said "no not for me" or similar
i am not saying i told you so or i was right all along
mancini is not what i was expecting
and certainly has done better than many expected
a lot of which is down to the new and very prof manner in which city seem to be run nowadays
i am still not totally vonvinced by him but fair play he has delivered a cup and maybe just maybe more to come

managers come and go as do players but i will be a city fan always
ctid

Maybe you used a different user name in the past but you're joining date would suggest you weren't here when Sven was sacked

What? Sven was sacked in June 2008 after tour of Thailand! Timperley Blue joined in April 2008.

yes i lost log in information when i was off line for a while and had to re-join
ctid

mancunial said:

Ron Saunders was never the right manager for City. His playing style was far too dour. He had a decent track record overall but I was glad to see him depart.

City were better after Book took over in my opinion.

Doesn't sound like he's interested in going back to Italy anyway! Might rule the homesickness rumour out as Inter would have been a good job for him to walk back into with Juve and AC having settled managers.

-

Roberto Mancini has made it clear that he would not entertain for a minute the idea of answering a distress call from Inter Milan, while he is confident his former club can turn around their current slump without him.

While Mancini is focusing intently on Manchester City's bid for Premier League and Europa League glory, it has not escaped his attention that Inter are in the midst of a difficult period.

The Nerazzurri have slipped to seventh in Serie A, 14 points off leaders AC Milan, following three straight defeats, while they also have work to do to keep their UEFA Champions League dream alive following a 1-0 loss at Marseille in the first leg of their last-16 tie.

This run of disappointing results has increased the pressure on head coach Claudio Ranieri, with reports suggesting he could soon lose his job.

There has already been speculation about who might replace Ranieri and Mancini is one name to have been linked with the role.
Qualities

Mancini spent four successful years in charge at the Giuseppe Meazza from 2004 to 2008 and has no interest in returning as he is committed to his project with Man City.

The Italian has nevertheless backed Inter to recover from their blip and enjoy a successful second half to the season under Ranieri.

He told Mediaset Premium: "If (Inter president, Massimo) Moratti called me back and asked me to reconstruct Inter Milan, I would reply that I already made the reconstruction.

"Inter also have the qualities to recover themselves. If they get a good result in the Champions League, they can return to how they were four or five weeks ago."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.