the money stick we get beaten by

Bottom line is ,money CAN buy success and it does.In fact you actually CAN'T be successful at the highest level without it !

Pigeonho said:
Exeter Blue I am here said:
Pigeonho said:
Chelsea get it some 11 years on. It's nothing to remotely care about at the end of the day.

But they don't though, do they, or at least to nowhere near the same snidey extent. We get little put downs all the time; Chelsea don't.
Neil Ashton on Talkshite on the subject of Hugo Lloris's error that led to our opening goal against Spurs for example.
".......and you can't make mistakes like that against a team of City's (....?....) ...Flair? Ability? Ruthlessness? No, the missing word was "resources". You think he'd have said that if Rooney had scored after 15 seconds, or Ozil?
And I also think you're quite wrong on the subject of it "not mattering". A lone dig from a sad bitter hack like Ashton might constitute a whole heap of nothing in isolation, but put the remark with all the others from Ladyboy, Custis, Howard, Ogden, Barclay, Herbert etc etc, the loaded questions at press conferences, the shit stirring about having no English players, the sniping from Tyler, ikkle Mickey & Co on match days, Sky Sports News' spiteful little squad price comparison charts every time we play in Europe and so on and so on, and it has to have an effect on our marketability. We are trying to build up a global fan base and attract sponsors. You could argue that we're doing a good job of it, although the empty seats at every home game tell me we've still got room for improvement, but the reality is that we've no way of telling how much better we might be doing if we'd received the positive coverage our football has deserved the last 4 years. Common sense tells me that if you're relentlessly portrayed as nouveau riche arrivistes, who know the price of everything and the value of nothing, most people will eventually buy into those lies. How does that "not matter?"
And who are you worried about buying into those lies? Players? Potential fans?

You can't come from relegation scraps and relative obscurity, to buying players for upwards of 30m, paying high wages and winning titles as a result of that expenditure without attracting comments like those you are so offended by. If Newcastle had been taken over instead of us, they would be getting the same comments, probably by many on here too when they gave us yet another spanking with their expensively assembled squad. It's just the way it is, but 2 FA cup finals, won of which we won, a league title and some of the best players in the world playing for us suggests such comments aren't really doing any kind of damage whatsoever.

Potential fans, complete with buying power, and potential investors. And as the matter is a largely speculative one, it's impossible to quantify whether it's harming our chances or not. I accept your first sentence fully, but 5 years down the line from the takeover, I think we've gone well past any levels of acceptable bitterness, and certainly as far as some of the print press goes, we're into the realms of pantomime villainy. Boosting circulation and raising advertising levels is the name of the cut throat game, and having a side like City emerge, who happen to be the natural born geographical enemy of gazillions of armchair rags, plus all the Scousers and North Londoners we've pissed off by nicking their chimps league money and their players, makes me suspect we're never gonna get a genuinely fair press. Not that there aren't positive articles about City around, rather that there are way more loaded, lazy and plain negative ones than we deserve. Might not bother you, but it bothers plenty of the rest of us

Pigeonho said:
Thenumber1blue said:
Bottom line is ,money CAN buy success and it does.In fact you actually CAN'T be successful at the highest level without it !
Exactly. It's done us wonders!
In fact I love it as it pisses off others .Not a single team in the world who wouldn't want what we've got !

Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
Pigeonho said:
Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
I was listening when he said Fernandinho had been poor so far this season and that he'd watched a lot of City. Where if he'd actually watched City he'd know Fernandinho had been better than Yaya for the last 2 months.
Which is why we all know Owen is a know nothing twat of a pundit, which nobody is disagreeing with.

With a monotone voice to boot, he's top of my shit list at the moment, makes Mick McCarthy sound like a poet laureate.

At least MM has a sense of humour.

Owen wouldn't know a funny line if it came up and bit him on the backside!

Pigeonho said:
But they don't though, do they, or at least to nowhere near the same snidey extent. We get little put downs all the time; Chelsea don't.
Neil Ashton on Talkshite on the subject of Hugo Lloris's error that led to our opening goal against Spurs for example.
".......and you can't make mistakes like that against a team of City's (....?....) ...Flair? Ability? Ruthlessness? No, the missing word was "resources". You think he'd have said that if Rooney had scored after 15 seconds, or Ozil?
And I also think you're quite wrong on the subject of it "not mattering". A lone dig from a sad bitter hack like Ashton might constitute a whole heap of nothing in isolation, but put the remark with all the others from Ladyboy, Custis, Howard, Ogden, Barclay, Herbert etc etc, the loaded questions at press conferences, the shit stirring about having no English players, the sniping from Tyler, ikkle Mickey & Co on match days, Sky Sports News' spiteful little squad price comparison charts every time we play in Europe and so on and so on, and it has to have an effect on our marketability. We are trying to build up a global fan base and attract sponsors. You could argue that we're doing a good job of it, although the empty seats at every home game tell me we've still got room for improvement, but the reality is that we've no way of telling how much better we might be doing if we'd received the positive coverage our football has deserved the last 4 years. Common sense tells me that if you're relentlessly portrayed as nouveau riche arrivistes, who know the price of everything and the value of nothing, most people will eventually buy into those lies. How does that "not matter?"

You can't come from relegation scraps and relative obscurity, to buying players for upwards of 30m, paying high wages and winning titles as a result of that expenditure without attracting comments like those you are so offended by. If Newcastle had been taken over instead of us, they would be getting the same comments, probably by many on here too when they gave us yet another spanking with their expensively assembled squad. It's just the way it is, but 2 FA cup finals, won of which we won, a league title and some of the best players in the world playing for us suggests such comments aren't really doing any kind of damage whatsoever.

Potential fans, complete with buying power, and potential investors. And as the matter is a largely speculative one, it's impossible to quantify whether it's harming our chances or not. I accept your first sentence fully, but 5 years down the line from the takeover, I think we've gone well past any levels of acceptable bitterness, and certainly as far as some of the print press goes, we're into the realms of pantomime villainy. Boosting circulation and raising advertising levels is the name of the cut throat game, and having a side like City emerge, who happen to be the natural born geographical enemy of gazillions of armchair rags, plus all the Scousers and North Londoners we've pissed off by nicking their chimps league money and their players, makes me suspect we're never gonna get a genuinely fair press. Not that there aren't positive articles about City around, rather that there are way more loaded, lazy and plain negative ones than we deserve. Might not bother you, but it bothers plenty of the rest of us
Each to their own.

Pigeonho said:
Pigeonho said:

Each to their own.

Indeed, and yet you continue to treat those that raise what is at worst a legitimate topic, as though they were certifiable loons walking around with tin foil lining their hats

Well said mate. Anyone who thinks we get a fair crack of the whip off the media is hopelessly deluded.

Pigeonho said:
Each to their own.

Indeed, and yet you continue to treat those that raise what is at worst a legitimate topic, as though they were certifiable loons walking around with tin foil lining their hats

That's because he has to have an opinion on everything and nobody else's counts.

I personally would embrace the money and use it to rub the fucker in.

when we were tearing arsenal apart yesterday, a chorus of "there only here for the money" and 6-3 to the mercenaries would have been music to my ears.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.