The NHS Appreciation Thread

I don't think 20 in nursing makes me ignorant,there will abuse of any system but abuse is not being stuck in a bed, bed blocking through no fault of your own etc,the problems getting into see your GP is where the problem starts,i don't believe the majority have any intention of abusing the system,i believe most believe they are ill and need to see someone

And how many years ago was that? I assure you that things have changed beyond recognition in the NHS over the last decade, its unrecognisable from when I first hit the wards, the last 5/6 years has seen that escalate. Bed blocking IS someones fault, usually the family who don't want such and such home, or don't want to pay x amount. People die on trolleys in A&E because of peoples selfishness, people die waiting for an ambulance that's currently with a teenager with a frigging temperature. You cant get into your Drs because someone has an appointment with a bloody cold. People are selfish and don't deserve the NHS. They are me me me!

I worked front line for 13 years,i saw and dealt with abuse on a daily basis.
I didnt think a man of your experience would need that explaining.

So the abuse you talk about is personal aimed at you for being on the front line. If so that is a societal problem and a result of years of austerity, cuts in police numbers and the rise of ensuing violence and loss of common decency. I obviously totally condemn any abuse or violence aimed at any person who works in the NHS.

That was not what I asked you though, I asked how the NHS was being abused, not how you personally had been abused but I see the correlation and understand the frustration

One example of abuse I know of is staff sickness, also carers and domestic leave used by staff ( all of which they are paid ),all of them used and abused by the same minority of staff year after year ,and the management and HR do quite literally nothing about said staff,probably because they know they cannot replace if they sack them.It leaves the rest of us demoralised and morale at rock bottem,Im on band 2 just moved up from band 1

That is an issue that is being addressed. Staffing is one the biggest issues in the NHS and it comes down to proper funding. Safe staffing levels not being adhered to puts added pressure on those who are there and the knock on effect is more absence.

People who say they cannot work when they can (medical certificates); deliberately getting over the counter things on a prescription because they don’t want to spend a couple of quid; arriving late for and not turning up for appointments; people making complaints just because they can

What are these medical certificates you talk about? By deliberately getting things on prescription you can buy over the counter, can you explain what you mean by that? People do arrive late for appointments in all walks of life, a creaking infrastructure and poor parking facilities does not help. People who need the NHS are usually ill, is it no surprise they might be to ill to attend an appointment. Making complaints because you can?? If you have something to complain about by all means complain, the service is not perfect and complaints help form opinion in how change can be affected. If nobody complained nothing would ever change

The fact you're a ward inspector at Salford and don't recognise the NHS is abused and the staff are abused, is deeply concerning.
Tell me what the abuse is then. Then I can use this at meetings to enact change. If you see abuse its your duty to report it, if you say nothing how can anything possibly ever get better?

Chelsea calling an ambulance for her son's swollen foot.

Troy turning up at A&E cos he's ran out of his tablets.

Ethel not able to go home because her NoK is away in Wales.

Herbert sat in an acute bed because his son doesnt like the only home that will accept him.

Belinda calling an ambulance because she has a headache.

To be fair the list is endless but I'm bored typing.
Nobody doubts there are a few idiots who don't understand the damage they do to the system, but look deeper into the reasons and find the answers why. That is the only way we can improve the service.

Don't be bored typing, I want genuine events. I can use them to push for change.

That is an issue that is being addressed. Staffing is one the biggest issues in the NHS and it comes down to proper funding. Safe staffing levels not being adhered to puts added pressure on those who are there and the knock on effect is more absence.
Has the problem of a working computer system been resolved yet? Tests used to have to wait weeks for say a simple blood test to be reported back to a GP.
The streamlining and restructuring you now report on is great but if the base for integrating patient data is based on old technology it can become an excuse for other.problem areas.

And how many years ago was that? I assure you that things have changed beyond recognition in the NHS over the last decade, its unrecognisable from when I first hit the wards, the last 5/6 years has seen that escalate. Bed blocking IS someones fault, usually the family who don't want such and such home, or don't want to pay x amount. People die on trolleys in A&E because of peoples selfishness, people die waiting for an ambulance that's currently with a teenager with a frigging temperature. You cant get into your Drs because someone has an appointment with a bloody cold. People are selfish and don't deserve the NHS. They are me me me!

Bed blocking is a sad result of the spike in population over a certain age and the lack of places to send people who are not able to return home but should not be in hospital. More investment is needed in the care sector.

I have not heard of one instance of a patient dying on a trolley in A&E because of lack of beds, I am sure it has happened though and that is a result of an overstretched A&E being not able to cope with a large influx of patients at one time.

The kid with a temperature might not have been able to get a GP appointment, there is a chronic lack of GP provision and most surgeries are massively oversubscribed. Giving GPs the extra burden of managing the finances of their surgeries means less appointments available.

People are rightly selfish when it comes to their health, you only get one go at life and the service should enact change so that the inherent selfishness of every persons needs is met.

Has the problem of a working computer system been resolved yet? Tests used to have to wait weeks for say a simple blood test to be reported back to a GP.
The streamlining and restructuring you now report on is great but if the base for integrating patient data is based on old technology it can become an excuse for other.problem areas.
That is a huge problem. I attended a new technology event at SRFT and there are great ideas in the pipeline. A lot use your mobile phone but the problem is data protection. Ideally as we become more tech aware and savvy, your own phone will become your own personal medical record holder. Strides are being made in diabetes where you use your phone to contact a central database with your daily results. Diabetes aint my area, I don't know what it is or involves but the technology will be available. In my area teledermatology will make a difference to appointments as you can see a Doctor over the internet. I am not tech savvy at all but the powers that be hold great hope for this developement

That is a huge problem. I attended a new technology event at SRFT and there are great ideas in the pipeline. A lot use your mobile phone but the problem is data protection. Ideally as we become more tech aware and savvy, your own phone will become your own personal medical record holder. Strides are being made in diabetes where you use your phone to contact a central database with your daily results. Diabetes aint my area, I don't know what it is or involves but the technology will be available. In my area teledermatology will make a difference to appointments as you can see a Doctor over the internet. I am not tech savvy at all but the powers that be hold great hope for this developement

Just about the IT side

Mrs JASR works in ED

A typical shift would involve repeatedly logging in, accessing, and logging off, of up to 7 different computer systems, just in the dept, none of which talked to each other.
Each system would require different data to progress whatever the requirement of using it.
Each system would have a different login name.
Each system would have a different password and different password rules (length, complexity).

This is not a laid back office where an employee makes a critical thought/decision maybe once an hour, this is where a critical thought/decision can take place every 5secs by a single person, as it’s someone’s life, for an entire 8-12hr shift.

...and they are having to login/out of those 7 unconnected computer systems, as and when, for security and patient privacy. And everyone has password memory issues, in the most benign, laidback situations, so imagine the hell of it when you’re trying to find info in a time critical situation to help someone’s life.

Can’t use biometrics to login, to speed up process, blood covered gloves aren’t the best.
And the 7 systems wouldn’t support.

It’s only one part of the whole steaming mass of unjoined up NHS and on into social care, with all its dept/institution pushbacks and blocking of patient flow.

But it’s an issue that will keep getting worse, as more tech arrives to sustain life, but doesn’t have simple, flexible, secure, interoperable I/O.

/particular focussed rant off

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.