The night the impossible became possible

HelloCity

West Brom at home 11/04/2012

This was the game where the power came back on and we all had hope again.

I remember going to the game and hardly being bothered about it because we were eight points behind. Infact, I was worried that all our games up until the end of the season would be like friendly matches that we'd have to suffer through before we could be put out of our misery.

The atmosphere inside the ground was close to being how I felt and the team's performance started off in a similar way as well. Slowly but surely though, rumours started to come around the ground that Wigan were outplaying United, they'd even had a goal disallowed. Suddenly the thoughts of the impossible being possible began to creep in the back of all our minds.

In the second half we started to play better and then the news came through that United were behind to Wigan. As if by magic, Silva suddenly went past two West Brom players, in a way not seen since Christmas. The crowd came alive again with belief and then as the goals came, the Poznan returned. There was a certain magic in the air.

A great night was capped when the news came through that United had indeed lost to Wigan. Eight points behind had suddenly become five and the great comeback was on.

Re: West Brom at home 11/04/2012 - A New Hope

Certainly was a great night that one, my only concern before the game was I just wanted us to give a good account of ourselves for the rest of the season and try and finish as strongly as we could. It wasn't even in my head by that stage that we had any chance whatsoever of winning the title, I'd lost the last shred of hope at Arsenal. I had accepted it was over.

Obviously the rest is history and the players played as if there was no pressure, and with the unexpected result from Wigan and subsequent events in the weeks after, the pressure gradually built back up again but the players learnt their lessons and this time they came through it(just!).

Mancini is a genius!

I was in the same mood heading to that game, the title race was dead in my mind and I was ready to just sit back and enjoy the football. It turned out to be one of the biggest surprises of the season, not the result which was almost a foregone conclusion, but the good atmosphere and news of the rags beginning perhaps the most epic bottle job the league has seen (something the media seem to be completely ignoring... wonder why?).

best part about that night...

wasn't the great performance and result, nor was it wigan beating the rags... for me it was when, after a week off the press constantly going after mancini saying he would be sacked etc he must have been wondering if we all were behind him and whether his job was safe. 2 minutes into the game a roaring chorus of "MANCINI..wooaahh..." broke out and you could tell what it meant to him, he certainly made it clear how much he appreciated it with his thankful gestures. that just said to me what MCFC is about.

would love to see a video of it.

Took my lad to this game, his first proper City game i.e. one where he was actually watching the match for 90 minutes.

I told him before the game that we should win but that it definitely wouldn't make any difference as the title race was over. "It's gone son, trust me."

I still can't believe we're fucking champions.

Yep it was the game we gave ourselves a chance but it was thanks to Wigan as well.

I KNEW,I just knew! Sometimes i get strange flashes of images and feelings and before that night i got two.One was a very vivid image of Kompany lifting the premier league trophy.The other was a certain feeling Wigan would beat United.When United went eight points clear and their players and fans were once again showing their true hateful colours,crowing and boasting,i posted on here that if there was a God we would win it.

I then had the feelings and image and had a nervous certainty that this would happen.Of course you daren't speak of it in case it is the kiss of death,lol,but inside i knew.

On 90 minutes against QPR i thought i was mad to have thought this so strongly,how cruel to have been given this hope from an impossible situation to have it snatched away at the death.....then we scored two goals and the rest is glorious history!

Something really supernatural happened for us this season and i think all United's despicable karma for the last twenty years caught up with them.Thank you God!

One of the biggest jinxes in the game, and we have to thank SSN for this, is that the trawling of stats to show that X hasn't won at Y since 1066, and A has never beaten B since we had crossbars in the game, is a sure fire killer.

Wigan had never beaten MANUre since Nelson was a lad and the odds were a squillion to one on for MANUre to just turn up, wait for the mandatory sending off after nine minutes and associated prevention of goal scoring opportunity, even though the Wigan player was in the centre circle at the time of the fictitious offence but with the ball landing in the penalty area (good enough for Howie Redshirt) and we're still eights points behind.

Funny game, football!

I remember before ko talking to some guys around me that we could do with beating West Brom to help ensure Arsenal didn't catch us for second place!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.