The night the impossible became possible

After the Wigan game, I was putting out my own theory that the Scum lost to wigan deliberately, so that the 3 points would help 'em to stay up and thereby ensure they would get their customary 6 points next year.

Sir Alchie was so confident of lifting the Title he believed they could do it without taking any points off "lickle Wigan" as they had Villa, "Moyesboys" and Swansea to play at the Swamp, and they never drop points at the Swamp against them, and then there was always the fall back of beating us at the Etihad!

So much for my theories!

PS. Thank you Wigan and Everton (I never thought I would be saying that!)

There are so many moments in our first title season for 44 years that it is impossible to identify any one save, block, goal or match when "the impossible became possible". In th end we won the title because we got more out of our 38 games than the rags or anyone else.

So I looked back to the last City title winners, the lads of '68 who won it when I was just 20. They are legends and I'm sure they were never quite as good as I remember, but I never thought I'd see their equal at City ever again. I looked at the final table, cut out from the Telegraph in 1968 and glued into my diary for that year. The big differences were, of course, that we played 42 games in those days and only got 2 points for a win. We won the title with 58 points from our 42 matches. Give 2 points for a win this season and we got 61 points from only 38 games! We won 26/42 in 1967-8: we won 28/38 this season. We lost only 5 matches this season compared to 10 in 1967-68. The forward line in 1968 was fabulous with Buzzer, Frannie, King Colin, Nellie and Tony Coleman. They hammered in 86 goals from 42 matches - but this season our front men have rattled up 93 goals from 38 games! The most notable achievement is, perhaps, at the back - in 67-8 we let in 43 goals from 42 matches, miserly for the time: this season weconceded only 19 goals all season! Our goal difference was a massive +64: in 68 it was (a still mightily impressive) +43.

It was good to see again just how great Joe and Big Mal's team was, but I'm glad to see just how great Roberto's team is. What he's achieved in two and a half years (18 months since we bought no-one in January) is breathtaking and I'm glad to say that they have more than equalled the achievements of the last City title winners. It was great to see the men of '68 march out to bring out the trophy, to be passed on to worthy successors. But it was won over the season, and won well.

think the sunderland 3-3 was very important,if we had lost that i think it would of been allover.

i was at work(mcr airport) all the reds were in great spirit,i was in the fag shelter,the reds were laughing and joking,people driving past were honking their horns,then out of nowhere we scored two,the look on their faces was like a death in the family,all of a sudden there was a glimmer of hope.

I remember saying to my mate walking away from this game that we'd win every game remaining, get 89 points and still not win the league as I couldn't see united dropping points other than when they played us. Thanks must be given to the wankshaft moyes and his boys.

alib said:
I remember before ko talking to some guys around me that we could do with beating West Brom to help ensure Arsenal didn't catch us for second place!!!!

Funny that, I said pretty much the same thing. Hey ho, better to be a pessimist cos if/when you actually win owt its loads more fun!

I too thought it was all over going into the WBA game; I had given up all hope and went along almost as if I was duty-bound to do so.

And I agree that the atmosphere at the start of the game was pretty flat, but it improved as the goals started to go in and the news filtered through from Pie-eatingland.

And although we were talking about the 'what ifs' on the way back to the car, I still didn't really believe that the title was back on; I just couldn't see Neverton getting anything at the swamp.

However, it was the evening when the tide turned and the events of that night and the following few weeks will live with me for the rest of my life.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Took my lad to this game, his first proper City game i.e. one where he was actually watching the match for 90 minutes.

I told him before the game that we should win but that it definitely wouldn't make any difference as the title race was over. "It's gone son, trust me."

I still can't believe we're fucking champions.
no one will now!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.