The north/south divide

Lived all my life in South Manc (withington) but have worked in the north,
and yes, they have 2 heads up there and are far too close to places like Bury and Oldham

m7mcfc said:
In my experience the only difference that in North Manchester white lads don't walk around thinking they are black as there southern cousins and don't try and tell me any different as I have witnessed it first hand many many times.

and no I am not in anyway whatsoever racist it's just an observation I have made over the years I actually find it quite amusing watching Bob or Dave thinking he is a Gooch soldja.
They remind me of him that rapped The only Rhyme that bites.

I wouldn`t disagree with that tbh, the North seems a bit more `old fashioned`for want of a better expression and an accent that seems to have retained much of its Lancastrian roots whilst the South seems to have been more influenced by this newer culture and accent.

I`m South btw but our kid married a `Norvern bird` and moved up there for a good few years( in the 80`s), the difference was quite noticeable in my eyes even then.

I totally agree, that Manchester has a definite divide. I am firmly on the South MCR side and have no idea about areas, shops, night-life, schools etc in North MCR. They talk differently and I have no idea of the places they go to. That said we share the same city centre, but I really feel no more affinity to them than I would a cockney or a scouser.

South Manchester is without doubt more wealthy though.

brooklandsblue2.0 said:
I totally agree, that Manchester has a definite divide. I am firmly on the South MCR side and have no idea about areas, shops, night-life, schools etc in North MCR. They talk differently and I have no idea of the places they go to. That said we share the same city centre, but I really feel no more affinity to them than I would a cockney or a scouser.

South Manchester is without doubt more wealthy though.

South Manchester more wealthy?
Not having that bb2..I used to know a bloke in Moston who owned his own house!
And he used to shop at J Sainsburys ltd..wise up ; )

North Manc is generally not easy on the eye when driving through etc..but it is full of good honest people and is full of blues too (truth!)

North Manchester is an interesting area, I mean what do we class as North Manchester?
When I was growing up in Moston, I was always of the
opinion that the areas heading out of town, towards Oldham (i.e. Miles Platting, Collyhurst,Harpurhey, Moston, Newton Heath etc) was North Manc?
Is Prestwich and Whitefield classed as North Manc then?

Quite like going for a nice bite to eat in South Manc now and then, tbh there isn't really anything like Didsbury or Chorlton in North Manc..shame really :(

Johnsonontheleft said:
I said this on the other thread but there definitely seems to be more rags in North Manchester.

A couple of years ago I would of agreed with this statement.
However I work in Newton Heath (the home of the scum) and I can honestly say that the majority of people wearing colours, cars with stickers etc is all about the mighty blues!
Even the rags in work always try and take the piss saying all our fans are from the working class areas such as Miles platting, Collyhurst etc.
To which I always reply...What you mean Manchester?

gazhinio said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
I said this on the other thread but there definitely seems to be more rags in North Manchester.

A couple of years ago I would of agreed with this statement.
However I work in Newton Heath (the home of the scum) and I can honestly say that the majority of people wearing colours, cars with stickers etc is all about the mighty blues!
Even the rags in work always try and take the piss saying all our fans are from the working class areas such as Miles platting, Collyhurst etc.
To which I always reply...What you mean Manchester?

Born and grew up in Newton Heath, and rag heritage aside it was always more Blue than red...As was Failsworth too.

The North - South divide is real though....with North far harder than the soft Southern puffs, lol.

Abbey Hey, Gorton, Bradford, Beswick, Clayton, Openshaw and West Gorton are East Manchester nothing to do with either side, but were more like the north than the south

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.