The Northern Lights

Moved this into this thread which is much more recent :)
Seen it a few times in the North Atlantic and in the Arctic.
From what I’ve seen the still pictures give a false impression and in real life it’s more like a light show. So you don’t get amazing colours as in the Photos etc -as it’s a fast moving image basically.

From what I’ve seen the still pictures give a false impression and in real life it’s more like a light show. So you don’t get amazing colours as in the Photos etc -as it’s a fast moving image basically.
Yes most of the great photo's are because of long exposures, but I've seen it in northern Scotland when I was working night shifts, and if you get your eyes adjusted away from artificial light, and it can be quite bright, even to the naked eye.

Saw the lights near Tromso last December and while what you see isn't like the photos it was still a wonderful experience as the sky changes shape above you. Also the coldest I've ever been. And the best beer afterwards.

This is a great time of year to see them, but not guaranteed. We were in Reykjavik a few weeks ago and went looking for them on three consecutive nights. The two nights they didn’t appear were probably the coldest most boring nights of my life, but when they finally did appear they were fantastic. It’s slow exposure on the cameras that get the spectacular pics, the lights themselves are more of a milky glow in the sky, but still magical and a great one to tick off the bucket list… good luck in your quest.

Went to northern Norway about 3 months ago. Unfortunately I was a month too early for the Northern Lights as the sun stayed above the horizon all night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.